Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified mount (Roman?)  (Read 736 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« on: December 04, 2021, 01:29:41 pm »
This mount measures only 36 mm and is 9,22 grams. It appears to be an openwork mount but it looks to be cut or sliced out? I assume it's a roman military mount but being so small it possibly was a horse harness mount.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 03:47:39 pm »
It could be a mount (phalera) for a sword baldric (shoulder strap).

That's what it looks like, the two-piece type with the hole for the separate D-ring.  However, it is a bit small.  Most documented baldric phalerae are 50-80 mm diameter, with a few known as small as 40 mm.

Perhaps this is a smaller provincial version??

It could also be a form of strap mount I guess but round types with a hole in the centre are not really documented.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Re: Unidentified mount (Roman?)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 01:15:25 pm »
Yes I think I agree with you possibly thinking it's a provincial made baldric mount. The style isn't refined.

Thanks  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity