Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My new collecting bug  (Read 1348 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
My new collecting bug
« on: October 21, 2021, 03:06:04 pm »

2 Ushabati's one with 9 lines from the spell of going forth by day...the book of the dead...spell 6.

I cannot so far name him and his job.

The next is a smaller T form ushabti apparently of Hor-ankh.

Both are late period.

The redware Apulian Kylix Skyphos Glaux 4-3rd c BC

John
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: My new collecting bug
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 03:58:11 pm »
Better pic

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 03:59:39 pm »
better pic

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 06:18:33 pm »
Nice!  I hope you are able to complete your translations.

How tall are they?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 06:20:31 am »

6 1/2 & 4 1/2  inches

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 02:51:56 pm »
A similar shabti and much better coinditioned ( in fact I think from the same batch) is available from the latest TIMELINE auction where I got mine from the last time auction.

Since there could be a shabti for each day, 10 overseer shabti there can be over 400 shabti's in any burial so not to panic about same or similar ones appearing.

The latest look alike is for nes ptah ( maybe Ptah is sweet), and I think that is correct

Timeline J anuary/Feb 2022  nes Ptah Large Egyptian Hieroglyphic Shabti for Nes-Ptah
26th Dynasty, 664-525 BC

A substantial light blue glazed composition shabti figurine belonging to a man named Nes-Ptah, a Sameref-priest and prophet of Isis, born of Tayes-shepset-hert; the mummiform statuette wearing a plain tripartite wig and a braided beard, arms crossed over the chest, holding pick and hoe with a seed bag over the left shoulder, plain dorsal pillar; the body of the figurine covered in ten horizontal lines of hieroglyphic text of version Chapter 6, 'spell of causing a shabti to do work for his master in the netherworld' from the Book of the Dead; mounted on a custom-made display stand. 240 grams total, 20cm including stand (8"). Fine condition.
Provenance
Fernand Adda collection, 1920s.
Collection of Mrs Petra Schamelman, Breitenbach, Germany.
From the collection of a Kensington gentleman.
Accompanied by an academic report by Dr Alberto Maria Pollastrini.
Literature
See Milde, H., 'Shabtis' in Wendrich, W. (ed.), UCLA Encyclopedia of Egyptology, Los Angeles, 2012; PN I = Ranke, Hermann, Die Ägyptischen Personennamen, Band I, Glückstadt, 1935; Scheider, H., Shabtis. An Introduction to the History of Ancient Egyptian Funerary Statuettes, Leiden, 1977, Pt.1; Stewart, H.M., Egyptian Shabtis, Shire Egyptology 23, Princes Risborough, 1995.
Footnotes
A Sameref-priest was linked to the Egyptian funerary rites, especially to the Opening of the Mouth ritual, and to the cult of Osiris and his identification with the god Herishef.

26th Dy nasty, 664-525 BC

A substantial light blue glazed composition shabti figurine belonging to a man named Nes-Ptah, a Sameref-priest and prophet of Isis, born of Tayes-shepset-hert; the mummiform statuette wearing a plain tripartite wig and a braided beard, arms crossed over the chest, holding pick and hoe with a seed bag over the left shoulder, plain dorsal pillar; the body of the figurine covered in ten horizontal lines of hieroglyphic text of version Chapter 6, 'spell of causing a shabti to do work for his master in the netherworld' from the Book of the Dead; mounted on a custom-made display stand. 240 grams total, 20cm including stand (8"). Fine condition.
Provenance
Collection
Provenance
Collection Schamelman, Breitenbach, Germany.
From the collection of a Kensington gentleman.
Accompanied by an academic report by Dr Alberto Maria Pollastrini.
Literature
See Milde, H., 'Shabtis' in Wendrich, W. (ed.), UCLA Encyclopedia of Egyptology, Los Angeles, 2012; PN I = Ranke, Hermann, Die Ägyptischen Personennamen, Band I, Glückstadt, 1935; Scheider, H., Shabtis. An Introduction to the History of Ancient Egyptian Funerary Statuettes, Leiden, 1977, Pt.1; Stewart, H.M., Egyptian Shabtis, Shire Egyptology 23, Princes Risborough, 1995.
Footnotes
A Sameref-priest was linked to the Egyptian funerary rites, especially to the Opening of the Mouth ritual, and to the cult of Osiris and his identification with the god Herishef.

Picture of mine and Timelines Mine is the one with air holes in the Hieroglphys making it difficult to read

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 03:02:55 pm »
READ FROM RIGHT TO LEFT INTO THE FACE OF THINGS AND BASICALLY SUBSTITUTE NAMES WITH THOSE ON THE TIMELINE DESCRIPTION

Shabti spell on Acc. No. 3727b. © Glenn Janes
Shabti spell on Acc. No. 3727b. © Glenn Janes

Horudja’s spell appears in three slightly different versions, this is one of the most typical:

The illuminated one, the Osiris, the Priest of Neith, Horudja, born to Shedet, justified, he says: O these ushabtis, if counted upon, the Osiris, the Priest of Neith, Horudja, born to Shedet, justified, to do all the works that are to be done there in the realm of the dead – now indeed obstacles are implanted there – as a man at his duties, “here I am!” you shall say when you are counted upon at any time to serve there, to cultivate the fields, to irrigate the river banks, to ferry the sand of the west to the east and vice–versa, “here I am” you shall say.

Horudja’s shabtis in Manchester will shortly be published by Glenn Janes. His book, The Shabti Collections 5. A Selection from the Manchester Museum, is due for publication in October – in time for the opening of our Ancient Worlds galleries.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity