Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: paper T on bronze  (Read 1070 times)

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
paper T on bronze
« on: March 07, 2021, 03:52:39 pm »
and am divulging one of my better finds over the many years of crafting my approach

wet paper towel > often better than toothbrush with reduced bristles

especially with oily residue that is problematic and difficult to contain, at later stages of clean up of bronze or copper and... orichalm

discuss

or try in your bag or tricks and report at a later date

- long term soaker w primary approach being distilled water and 'scrubbing'

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: going out on a limb
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 01:35:23 am »
Haven't tried this specifically, but I have found that wet cleaning is far more effective than dry, regardless of what I use (brush, towel, etc) than dry. I am not super experienced and haven't done a lot, but I have completely stopped drying coins off after soaking and now keep them wet at all times. The wetness also brings out details when looking with a magnifying glass or microscope. Note that I soak in distilled water for weeks and months as I progress.

Virgil

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
Re: going out on a limb
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:03 am »
yeah you might be on to something

have not seen this mentioned before so I thought I'd throw it out there for debate

I am surprised nobody other than you chimed in

this is a tough crowd.....cannot fully understand those diamond dusted high or speed dudes... but oh well...haven't seen any slabbed coins or auction lots mention it....seems to me like fabric is far less abrasive....

this is a solid tool in my conservation tool kit

you might even try a q-tip on bronze......in the details....I mean it's somewhat acceptable on silver so....

one of these days / years ...I will post some pics... before / after

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: paper T on bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 08:07:06 am »
I think a lot of people have given up on uncleaned coins.  The quality has declined drastically.  I haven't purchased uncleaned coins in over 15 years.  But I agree, wet cleaning always worked better for me.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 09:44:52 am »
Wet always worked well for the initial stuff and the easy stuff.

However, the frustrating fact is that all the DW soaking and soft brushing (or paper toweling) in the world will not clean everything off many, many of the uncleaned coins we face.

I think that this is one reason many people eventually give up on uncleaned coins or resort earlier and earlier to chemical treatments.

The scalpels and dd-picks/files are the only non-chemical way to treat the really hard stuff and they require investment, time and skill.

But believe me, if the DW soaks and "soft physical" fail to yield process after a couple of months it is 99% certain they won't do anything more and you need to employ something harder.

PS The process can be cyclical at times.  In other words, sometimes the "hard physical" approach - like scalpel or dddp - removes a small layer and then what is under responds to DW and softer approaches - other times there is only har stuff there.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 06:13:29 am »
Hi guys, long time no see!
   I have mentioned this before, but it was a few years ago, so worth reiterating..
    The best tools I have used for scraping, shaving and picking are sections of stainless Tig welding rod, cut into 5" pieces, and then the ends finely ground into chisels, points, angled scrapers, rounded scrapers, a whole variety of sharp shapes.
  The best method of keeping the coin wet while working is a bit of spit on the finger... Not particularly hygienic, but works better than water.
  The best companion for a couple of hours cleaning is 3 fingers of single malt scotch whisky. ( No more! Or things could go horribly wrong... Save that for later. I speak from experience!)

Glad to see the old crew is still here, and glad to be back!

Lee S.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity