Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius II., Antioch, left bust with legends error, IVVENTVS AVG, not in Estiot  (Read 618 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Claudius II., Antioch, left bust with legends error, IVVENTVS AVG, not in Estiot's site.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-142512

104 Claudius II. (268-270 A.D.), T-1057var. (Estiot), RIC V-I 113var., Antioch, AE-Antoninianus, IVVENTVS AVG, -/-//--, Hercules standing, facing, #1
avers:- IMP C CLAVD(I)VS AVG (Legends error I are missing), Bust left, radiate, with traces of drapery to front of truncation, one or two dot under the bust(!!!), (A2l).
revers:- IVVENTVS AVG, Hercules standing, facing, head left, right hand leaning on club, and holding apple in left hand, lion's skin over left arm, (Hercules 4).
exerg: -/-//--, diameter: 20,0mm, weight: 3,01g, axes: 0h,
mint: Antioch, iss-3, off-4, date: 270 A.D., ref: T-1057var. (Estiot), RIC V-I 213,

This coin have two interesting difference compared the Estiot site T-1057, coins,
http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/1057

1st., Under the bust one or two dots

2nd., The avers legends have an error missed the I, but interesting because the one side of the V are also look missed.

it means the legends intead of : IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG
 look :"IMP C CLAVDVS AVG" or "IMP C CLAVDIS AIG" ???

Thank you your opinion..

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
By any means an interesting coin.
Dots under the bust are only described for Cyzicus mint. Can these two just be coincidental dirt?
The strange shape of the V on AVG on the obverse is certainly just a clogging of the die obscuring the right arm of the V.
The CLAUDUS, however, is clearly a real mis-spelling turning Claudius into Claudus, "The Lame".

Congratulations from

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Thank you, Rupert,

About the dot ???

I put the coin under the microscope to recognized it looks like a dirt one of them or real dot.

The biggest one looks real dot, but it is true some similar dot visible the reverse side which is looking like a dirt.

Best regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity