Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medeival Coin References  (Read 13406 times)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Medeival Coin References
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:40:40 pm »
Recommended References:

Elio Biaggi.  Monete e Zecche Medievali Italiane, dal sec. VIII al sec. XV.  Montenegro s.a.s. Edizioni Numismatiche di Eupremio Montenegro, Turin [Torino]. 526 pages.  Almost all coins photographed.

This contains all Italian coins in CNI between 800 and 1500.  Some coins, true, fall through the cracks; example coins of Pope Hadrian I [772-795].  The book does include a coin Charlemagne struck at Rome between 798 and 800.

If you want a quick, handy reference for this epoch and area in ONE volume:  THIS IS THE BOOK.  That said, it's hard to get.  The telephone number in Torino is: 011/562.19.30 and the fax number is:011/54.48.56.

The sales tag plastered on to my back-cover says:  Montenegro s.a.s. L. 250,000.  I have no idea what it costs on today's market.

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:07:13 pm »
I have JJ North, English Hammered Coinage, unfortunately in an old edition (1960). I do have access to a more up to date ed. though, at least for Vol. 2!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 02:37:26 pm »
I too am very interested in this subject, and I thank you for introducing it.  I especially need guidance in and for Medieval islamic issues, as well as middle/eastern/western european 1200-1500AD.

I use now:
Malloy/Preston/Seltman -- Coins of the Crusader States.

R. Ratto, Monnaies Byxzantines.

Though these are generally considered Byzantine references, they both include a wealth of data about the very earliest medieval coins of certain regions, and during a time of great flux and turmoil, as well.

I am totally in the dark concerning references for medieval islamics, but have picked up a few ideas at this board already and they are going on the wishlist post haste.

My wishlist for Euro-Medievals is summed up in this note from Jim Roberts, himself an author on the subject, who was kind enough to reply to one of my emails in depth:

I hope you get a copy of Grierson's overview book, "Coins of Medieval
Europe" if you don't already have it. It's the most authoritative work
that's currently available on medieval coinage, and it does a pretty good job of illustrating the most important types -- not just the unique museum  pieces but also the common coins that collectors run into all the time. The more detailed volumes in his "Medieval European Coinage" series are essential for any area you want to know thoroughly, but the less expensive reference works will satisfy most collectors.

Dannenberg (a 4-volume set) is such a basic reference, covering all the
Germanic territory up to the mid-12th C.; that set you should try to get a copy of, whenever you can find one that is available inexpensively. For the next period of Germanic coins you need the Bonhoff catalog, which is still available from  the auction house, Dr. Busso Peuss Nachfolger Muenzhandlung, Frankfurt/Main (ask for Katalog 293). For later coins you arrive at the Saurmasche  Muenzsammlung, which I have put online. 

http://someoldcoins.org/saur/

The medieval coinage of all of the other european countries (except Italy and France) are covered by single-volume reference works that are readily available. For France I have to recommend my own work, "The Silver Coins of Medieval France", which actually goes far beyond the boundaries of France and covers all of the time periods from the end of the Roman Empire up to the year 1610 AD. Unfortunately my book is too expensive for the casual collector, but you can get a copy of it (and of Dannenberg as well) from the ANA's mail-order library, if you choose to become a member of that organization.
With best wishes...

- Jim

James N. Roberts

The Silver Coins of Medieval France (Attic Books Ltd., 1996)
http://users.rcn.com/j-roberts/ (Medieval Islamic coins, 1997)
http://someoldcoins.org/saur/ (Medieval German coins, 2004)
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke Ã¥ unngÃ¥ fare det vi har komme!
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:13:56 pm »
What would the best reference be for Viking-era Scandanavian coinage?

Thanks!

Offline Paleologo

• Consul
  • nulla die sine nummo.
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:19:22 am »
What would the best reference be for Viking-era Scandanavian coinage?
Malmer, B.: Nordiska mint före ar 1000. Lund 1966.
For Norway:
Ahlström, B./Brekke, B.H./Hemmingsson, B.: Norges Mynter. The Coinage of Norway. Stockholm 1976.
Schive, C.I.: Norges Mynter i Middelalderen. Aalborg 1974.
For Sweden:
Lagerquist, L.O.: Svenska Mynt, under Vikingatid och Medeltid (ca 995-1521) samt Gotländska Mynt (ca 1140-1565). Stockholm 1970.
For Denmark:
Hauberg, P.: Myntforhold og Udmyntninger i Danmark indtil 1146. Kopenhagen 1900.
Also:
Jankuhn, H.: Haithabu. Ein Handelsplatz der Wikingerzeit. Neumünster 1986.

References taken from the Catalog of the De Wit Collection Part I, auction Kuenker 121 of 12-13 March 2007.

As to Biaggi, the pros have already been mentioned. The cons are an amazing number of mistakes and omissions, disappointing pictures and the tendence to assign degrees of rarity in a purely random fashion. Still cannot do without anyway, as shown by the fact that it can only be found at auctions, usually for no less than 300 €.
Caminante, no hay camino
Se hace camino al andar

zika

Medeival Coin References
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:51:54 am »
For Serbian medieval coins:
Serbian medieval coinage - Vujadin Ivanisevic - Stubovi kulture, Belgrade 2001
Serbian medieval coins - Miroslav Jovanovic - M. Jovanovic, Belgrade 2001

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:15:09 am »
This thread pretty well demonstrates that 'medieval' is much too big a subject to be covered by a book.  You need a library.  Most of the responses assume you meant Medieval European coins (I assume that you did) but the medieval period produced coins across the territory from the Mediterranian to China and everywhere inbetween.  I was brought up in a culture that pretty much centered on European history but Persia, India, Central Asia and China were very active coin producers in the millenium centered on 1000 AD as well.  

To point out examples of the common coins from this period but not centering on Europe I suggest Robert Tye's Early World Coins and Early Weight  Systems.  It is a very light overview of enough material that you would need twenty feet of shelfspace to cover properly but it is a start for those of us that want to be exposed to areas of numismatics not previously imagined.  Unlike most books on coins, it shows the most commmon and influential coins of their periods and places rather than concentrating on the rare and the beautiful.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=58228.0

A real advantage is that the book is in print.  Some of the books suggested here may be a bit hard to find.

Offline antusrex

• Praetorian
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:26 am »
MEdieval Castilian and Leonese references:

www.morabetino.es

http://depositfiles.com/files/m0xlyqeqr

The last one is a free catalog of these coins.

Regards

Antonio

Offline antusrex

• Praetorian
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:22 am »
New medieval coin books in morabetino.es

7 Catálogo de las monedas leonesas y castellanas de la Edad Media. Antonio Roma Valdés. Color edition.

8 Special edition: Emisiones monetarias leonesas y castellanas de la Edad Media. Organización, economía, tipos y fuentes. For collectors. , color, including catálog. Until 50 unities.

Next editions

5   Proyecto de Ley sobre la uniformidad y reforma del sistema métrico y monetario de España, Madrid, 1847, de Vicente Vázquez Queipo
Prólogo: Francisco Cebreiro Ares

6   Apuntes de Numismática, curso 1880-1881, por Juan de Dios de la Rada y Delgado, tomados por Ramón Santamaría
Prólogo: Laureano Fernández Carballo

Offline Namachieli

• Auxiliary
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with James Roberts about his Book "The Silver Coins of Medieval France, 476-1610 AD." This is the only place i've found online with his presence.

Does anyone have a way to get in contact with him?

Offline antusrex

• Praetorian
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 04:52:15 am »
Dear friends

At the request of different friends, I have included a second direction in which to obtain the title Notes on medieval Castilian coinage.
In Bubok.es, softcover:  http://www.bubok.es/libros/207702/Notes-on-Castilian-Coinage

At Lulu.com, hardcover, printed in different countries, which will lower shipping cost:
http://www.lulu.com/product/tapa-dura/notes-on-castilian-coinage-the-xiii-century/18781087

Kind regards

Antonio

Offline antusrex

• Praetorian
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »

Offline antusrex

• Praetorian
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:36 am »
New on line book on the composition of medieval coins in Castile, Spain. See:

http://issuu.com/antusrex/docs/libro_an_lisis

You can download free and also you can buy on paper in:

http://www.morabetino.es/component/content/article/36-libros/62-composicion-meta\
lica-de-las-monedas-leonesas-y-castellanas-de-la-edad-media
http://www.bubok.es/libro/detalles/186077/Composicion-metalica-de-las-monedas-le\
onesas-y-castellanas-de-la-Edad-Media

Regards

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »
Hello all,

I have had to construct a small reference library to compliment my collection of coins.  The following are some of my most used:

Greek Imperial Coins, David R. Sear, 1982, Spink (Great start for Roman Provincials)
Coins of Medieval Europe, Philip Grierson, 1991, Seaby (My favorite reference.  This book started my hobby)
Ancient Greek Coins, G.K. Jenkins, 1990, Spink (Some of the most beautiful coins ever made)
Medieval European Coinage Vol 1, Grierson and Blackburn, 1986, Cambridge (Great Dark Age coverage)
Medieval European Coinage Vol 14, Grierson and Travaini, 1998, Cambridge (Great Regno coverage)
Coinage in South-Eastern Europe, D.M. Metcalf, 1979, Royal Numismatic Society (Slavic and Byzantine coinages)
Germanic Coinages, W.D. Craig, 1954, Craig (Few illustrations but great coverage of minting rulers and locales)
Western & Provincial Byzantine Coins, Warwick Wroth, 1966, Argonaut (Interesting coverage of Dark Age Germanics)
Coinage of South Germany in the 13th Century, D.M. Metcalf, 1961, Spink (German and Austrian coverage)
Byzantine Coinage, Philip Grierson, 1999, Dumbarton Oaks (Starting reference for Byzantine coins)
Medieval Coins in the Christian Thomsen Collection, Kristian Erslev, 1992, Attic Books (General reference for some European)
Copper Coins of German States, O.P. Eklund, ?, ? (Great reference for Kipper Period coins)
Die Deutschen Muenzen der Sachsischen....4 Vols, Hermann Dannenberg, 1876-1905, Berlin (Awesome reference for early German)
Die Saurmasche Muenzsammlung...., Hugo von Saurma-Jeltsch, 1892, Weyl (German from first Groschens to Kipper Period)
Silver Coins of Medieval France, James Roberts, 1996, Attic Books (Best reference for French coins)
Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins, Rasiel Suarez, 2005, Dirty Old Books Ltd (Good reference for novice on up)
Corpus Nummorum Hungariae, L. Rethy and G. Probszt, 1958, Graz (Great Hungarian coverage)
Die Mittelalterlichen Muenzen des Hessischen...., A. Riechmann & Co., 1977, Attic Books (Another good German reference)

These are some of my most used references.  I have kept my comments short.  If you would like more information about these books, feel free to message me.

David

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:55:05 pm »

Democritus

Medeival Coin References
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 07:44:55 am »
Thanks for the nice comments Doug!

At a quick look, no one has mentioned the three volume set by Engel and Serrure.

Traite de Numismatique du Moyen Age.

With 1450 pages of (French) text - and a few hundred line drawings -  it can only be a general over view of medieval European issues.

But the Elibron reprint at about US $90 for the three volume set is quite a good deal.......

http://www.elibron.com/english/other/author_list.phtml?author_id=10023659

Rob

Richard W4

Medeival Coin References
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 12:27:35 am »
"The Silver Coins of Medieval France"

I have the book but I'm curious about the statement on this site that reads "by James N. Roberts, 1996, 24 x 29 cm, 587 pages, 7300 illustrations, includes price guide pamphlet." What is this price guide pamphlet? Did it come with the book?

Offline S3VERVS

• Consul
Medeival Coin References
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »
What comes to islamic coins I would like to recommed Ivar Leimus. "'Sylloge of Islamic coins, Estonian public collections" (Tallinn 2007). It includes over 3700 viking age islamic coins found in Estonia. There is 1:1 bw picture of every coin and it has 446 pages. It is a massive book and its cost only 50 EUR in Estonian National Museum (Eesti Ajaloomuuseum). It can probably order worldwide via museum shop???

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Medeival Coin References
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:47 am »
"The Silver Coins of Medieval France"

I have the book but I'm curious about the statement on this site that reads "by James N. Roberts, 1996, 24 x 29 cm, 587 pages, 7300 illustrations, includes price guide pamphlet." What is this price guide pamphlet? Did it come with the book?

I believe it was sold separately by Alex Malloy and a few other dealers.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 05:07:00 am »
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I see there are a lot of prints of North's book on English hammered. Can anybody tell me which one I need? Are they just reprints or are there additions and/or changed numbering?
Regards
Gert

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 09:15:34 am »
The new book will be available soon, from the Medieval Hungarian coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=113482.0

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Iber H

• Legionary
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 10:52:20 pm »
These two links are very good,  and up and running... for now ,  for Spanish medieval and post medieval coins

http://maravedis.net/

https://www.catalogodemonedas.es/?q=catalogo

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 07:14:13 pm »
I have stumbled on the fact that Berger's "Die mittelalterlichen Brakteaten im Kestner-Museum Hannover. (Hannover, 1993)"
is available online from the Kestern Museum's web page. 

https://www.hannover.de/Museum-August-Kestner/Das-Museum-August-Kestner/Publikationen/Onlinepublikationen

Might be helpful if you collect Brakteats.

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 03:44:35 pm »
I have two books that I have not seen mentioned.

--The Dated European Coinage Prior to 1501 by Albert R. Frey. 1978. This is a nice slim hardcover revised
reprint of an article in the American Journal of Numismatics published in 1915. It also has a 1978 valuation
supplement. There are coins listed from 1373-1500 AD. The revised edition has some earlier than 1373. This
has some nice plates that I don't see in the original article.
The original article is available for free at
https://www.jstor.org/stable/43587821

--Altdeutschland: Ein Katalog der bekanntesten Munzen des Romisch-Deutschen Reiches von 768-1806 by
Gunter Schon. Small but thick paperback of 730 pages published in 1976. It is in German. There are quite a lot
of photos of the coins. This covers Germany from 768-1806 AD. Organized by state/city.

Virgil

Offline David T6

• Auxiliary
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 06:51:14 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity