Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dupes in a Gallery  (Read 902 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Dupes in a Gallery
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:57:54 pm »
I am planning on starting a gallery. Partly to add to the great coins already here and partly as my own record. I keep a spreadsheet of my coins. My question is, do people put duplicates in their galleries? I don't have many, but have a few due to buying lots in areas I am interested in. As a record, it seems fine. As a practical matter, maybe not. Was wondering what you think. My gallery will mostly be common coins, not much in the way of spectacular.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Dupes in a Gallery
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:47:50 pm »
Looking forward to it Virgil.

Personally I put all of my coins in my gallery, even duplicates.  I even made a folder for my sold coins to keep a record.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 08:52:45 pm »
Thanks Jay, that was pretty much what I was thinking, too. Appreciate the response.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 09:30:51 pm »
I can't believe you have not jumped on the gallery bandwagon yet! It's one of the killer app features of FORUM

Generally I add every coin as I acquire it (though I have a few LRBs that have been with me decades I've not gotten around to adding yet).  I definitely put in duplicates - for the most part they are not the same dies anyway.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:40 pm »
Thanks for your response, Ron. My main problem is photography that I am very unsure about (and self-conscious about the quality). I think I have finally figured that part out. I agree it is a great feature of Forum. There is a time investment, of course, but I enjoy any excuse to "play" with my coins. I have my Elymais coins almost all photographed now because I am sharing them with a PhD student that asked me if he could use them in his studies, so that motivated me to take pictures and try to document them as best I can so he may make use of them in his research. This is also where I have the most dupes.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 01:24:08 pm »
Virgil,

I echo Jay's sentiment. Can't wait to see your gallery.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 06:02:44 pm »
Thanks to all for the encouragement. It is motivating for sure!

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity