Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead and Iron Ring?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
Lead and Iron Ring?
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:42:59 pm »
Hello everione!

I upload some photos of which it could be a ring made of iron and lead. In the pictures we can see an  round iron ring and and flat lead area. The weight is about 34gr. Could it be so much for a ring?

I would be very grateful if anyone could give your opinion

Thanks in advane

Jose

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Lead and Iron Ring?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:47:13 pm »
I really don't think this is a finger ring.

It is likely a ring anchored in lead and meant to tie something to.

It reminds me a bit of terret rings which were used on carts, wagons and chariots, though cruder.  But this might be a coincidence.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
Re: Lead and Iron Ring?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:18:10 pm »
Thanks so much SC, I think you are right. Sometimes imagination goes ahead :)

Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity