Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this a button?  (Read 495 times)

Offline Demi R

• Auxiliary
Is this a button?
« on: August 05, 2022, 11:10:09 pm »
Hello, recently found this item on a field where I also found a 1st century Roman fibula, key and ring. I know for sure it ain't a fibula due to the hasp/lock. It reminds me of a button. I have found many buttons in all my years of metal detecting, but I can't identify this one. Some say its a dandy button 18th century.

Somehow I think it's not a button even if it looks like at the back. What do you guys think? If it does is a button I am happy as well because it's beautiful.

Thanks in advance!

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Is this a button?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:30:32 am »
Hi Demi R.  I am sorry I don't know anything about this, but I agree it is very nice.  I really like the tiny florettes around the "spokes" of the wheel.  A button is a good guess, but I don't know what the date would be.  Someone with more knowledge may comment. 

Regards, Jimi

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Is this a button?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 09:28:09 am »
It is definitely a post-medieval button.

The reverse shows the two broken stubs of a simple loop, which was sewn on to the fabric.

It is certainly somewhat neoclassical in style but not ancient.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS