Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: GREEK TRIO  (Read 782 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
GREEK TRIO
« on: March 16, 2022, 07:28:46 am »
Left, Apulian Glaux 4-3rd c BC
Right, Attic Glaux 5-4th c BC

Middle,Attic Black Figure Lekythos; Attic Black Figure Lekythos, ca. 5th Century BC. Stylized conversing figures in the late Attic style. H. 6 3/4" W. 2 5/8" (17 cm x 6.7 cm)..

It seems women had a huge role in Greek burial customs, the lekythos probably held anointing perfumed oil Who drank from the Glaux I cannot find and where in the funeral rites. If anybody knows, please be bothered to tell
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: GREEK TRIO
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:12:01 am »
What is the conversation about? Does anyone know anything?  Is it like it's as hot as Hades here.Is there any books on learning about Greek vases, not just for cataloguing but the uses and interpretation of them and the scenes.. What I have found is ..of the such and such skool..tec That really says nothing.

I knew the Glaux was a drinking vessel where I presume watered wine was introduced from a Krater at a funeral, but when where etc...Were women allowed to booze at a greek funeral, they were quiet prominent in earlier parts of the funeral process.
Does any know of photographs of excavated Greek tombs as found...laid out?

I would ask the BM, but they are more than 3/4's up their own fundament and give me a lecture on looting cos they aren't allowed to do it anymore

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:39:30 am »
You can try "Mystic Cults in Magna Graecia" edited by Giovanni Casadio and Paricia A. Johnston.  I haven't read it in many years.  It's a collection of papers that deals with the more secretive aspects of ancient religious cults as seen on vases, wall paintings and inscriptions.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 02:56:00 pm »
"The Greek Way of Death", by Robert Garland.

And here is a list of books from my collection regarding Greek pottery...

https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Enodia&collection=-1&deepsearch=Greek+pottery

I particularly like Jane Henle's "Greek Myths; A Vase Painters Notebook"

~ Peter

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 05:11:37 am »
Enodia, thanks for the tips. I have been viewing the "Khan" academy.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 02:48:37 am »
I rarely make it to this part of the forum, so apologies for such a late response. One book I have is not on Peter's list and it is:

Athenian Vase Construction: A Potters Analysis by Tony Schreiber, published in 1999 by the J. Paul Getty Museum.

It is a great book on types and construction, maybe not so much on the specifics you are looking for. It does have detailed specifics of pottery types, as well as how they were decorated. I do think you would like it if you have access to get it from a library or something. I made a Kylix once that never got finished because I realized I was not a painter and never got far enough to figure out how to glaze it before I knocked it off the table and into a million pieces. The basic kylix I was quite proud of. But it made me realize that pottery shops probably had the potters and the painters as two separate skill sets. There are simple Greek pottery painting styles that is what I may have ended up doing if I hadn't destroyed it. But I was kind of fixated on the pictorial stuff as on your beautiful examples. Owning some Greek pottery is high on my list of things I would buy if I ever win the lottery, I just love it.

And a great book on death rituals I have is:

Death-Ritual and Social Structure in Classical Antiquity (Key Themes in Ancient History) by Ian Morris, Cambridge University Press, 1992. I can't find it at the moment and it has been a while, but it is pretty good and a scientific view as seen via archaeology. If I can locate it, I will look and give you some more info.

Here is a pic of that kylix when it was still "wet."

Regards,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 06:05:14 pm »
Beautiful!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 07:30:37 pm »
Here's a good book on Greek death rituals and traditions...

https://www.librarything.com/work/411658/book/12682015

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity