Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Interesting Magnentius AE coin, this reverse variation Not in RIC from Siscia,

(1/5) > >>

quadrans:
I have an interesting Magnentius coin, from SISCIA.
This type exists as  RIC VIII 318, but the reverse RIC 318 is not the same, the emperor holding a spear, but this coin the emperor holding an olive branch. I do not find the same from Siscia earliar.

Any opinion?

148 Magnentius (350-353 A.D.), Siscia, RIC VIII Not in (!!!), III/VAL(ligate)//ASIS, AE-2, Centenionalis, VICTORIA AVG ET CAES, Emperor, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=172200

148 Magnentius (350-353 A.D.), Siscia, RIC VIII Not in (!!!), III/VAL(ligate)//ASIS, AE-2, Centenionalis, VICTORIA AVG ET CAES, Emperor, #1
avers: DN MAGNEN TIVS P F AVG, Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, A behind the head.
reverse: VICTORIA AVG ET CAES, Emperor, bare-headed and in military dress, standing right holding an olive branch and standard decorated with Chi-Rho, foot on the shoulder of a bare-headed captive seated right.
exergue: III/VAL(ligate)//ASIS, diameter: 23,3-24,4mm, weight: 4,34g, axis: 6,5h(195°),
mint: Siscia, date: 350-353 AD.,
ref: RIC VIII Not in this reverse variation !!! (318 var. not a spear, but olive branch !!!), C-, Sear -,

Refards

Joe

maridvnvm:
Interesting coin.
Could what you see as a laurel branch actually be a Star? This star could be an artefact of a some strange facet of the striking process. Could the coin be overstruck on another for example? There appears to be the remains of the spear evident behind the emperor's leg, which is where I would expect to see it.
Just exploring the possibilities here.
Martin

quadrans:
Thank you, Martin, your Opinion.

The Rome mint is similar reverse but not the same because the standard in Rome decorated Eagle, not Ch-Rho,
and if you realized both legs have some decoration on both sides which is related to Roman type footwear. as visible another example too.
It is not a remaining part of the spear. In hand, the coin is not like the overstruck but all thing is possible.

I will post here the other two examples of mine but the Rome mint to compare.

Joe

Victor C:
Bastien, in Le Monnayage de Magnence, has an example with the olive branch-- #517a

quadrans:
Thank you, Victor,

Unfortunately, I do not have this book, but thank you for the information.
Bastian only described this coin or do they have the picture too?

Regards

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version