Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: You say PIETAS, I say PIAETAS....  (Read 473 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
You say PIETAS, I say PIAETAS....
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:20:38 am »
During the 8th and 9th emissions of Lugdunum under Probus the pietas reverse type was produced with two alternate spellings - PIETAS and PIAETAS. You will often see the PIAETAS coin sold as an error but it is more likely to be a spelling variation rather than an error. The PIAETAS spelling occurs over two issues and over multiple reverse dies and is generally as prolific as the PIETAS spelling variety.

I have been gathering some of these over more than 20 years and am slowly gathering more and more of these minor variations. It is an example of the way I collect. Slow and patient.

Just for the sake of this thread I will combine the obverse legend varieties separated by dots..... which Bastien gives a separate id but RIC does not.

Emission 8

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P F AVG , Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left by altar, holding patera and box of perfumes
Minted in Lugdunum (III in exe) Emission 8, Officina 3. Autumn to Late A.D. 281
Reference:– Cohen 437. Bastien 359(dots), 360(no dots). RIC 96 Bust type F

Weight 4.36g. 22.70mm. 0 degrees

Ex Langcroft hoard

This was my first of the type that I bought almost 20 years ago

This also comes with the longer for mof the obverse legend

Obverse Legend : IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG
Bust Type : Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the rear
References : RIC -, Cohen -, Bastien 357 (1 ex.)

But I have yet to find one of these. Then there is:-

Rev:– PIAETAS AVG, Pietas standing left by altar, holding patera and box of perfumes
MintLugdunum (III in exe) Emission 8, Officina 3. Autumn – End 281 A.D.
Reference:– Cohen 435, Bastien 354. RIC 93 Bust type F

Weight 4.59g. 23.01mm. 180 degrees

Which also comes with the short form obverse legend

Obv:– IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– PIAETAS AVG, Pietas standing left by altar, holding patera and box of perfumes
MintLugdunum (III in exe) Emission 8, Officina 3. Autumn – End 281 A.D.
Reference:– Cohen 436, Bastien 356 (5 examples cited). RIC 94 Bust type F (Scarce)

Weight 4.16g. 22.59mm. 180 degrees

Now on to Emission 9, where the officina mark occurs in the fields

starting with PIETAS

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– PIETAS AVG, Pietas standing left by altar, holding patera and box of perfumes
Minted in Lugdunum (C in right field) Emission 9, Officina 3. January to August A.D. 282
Reference:– Cohen 437. Bastien 413. RIC 121 Bust type F

3.65 gms. 22.75mm

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the front
Minted in Lugdunum (_ C) Emission 9 Officina 3. January – August 282 A.D.
Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 412 (2 examples). RIC 121 var. Bust Type C (unlisted with this bust type in RIC)

and PIAETAS

Obv:–IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Minted in Lugdunum (C in right field) Emission 9. Officina 2. January – August 282 A.D.
Reference:– Cohen 435. Bastien 410. RIC 120 Bust type F
ex. Lee Toone

Obv:–IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Minted in Lugdunum (Retrograde C in right field) Emission 9. Officina 2. January – August 282 A.D.
Reference:– Cohen 435. Bastien 417 (2 examples cited). RIC 120 var Bust type F (unlisted with Retrograde C in right field in RIC)

This varniety also comes with a different bust type

Bust Type : Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the front
Officina Mark Position : Right field
References : RIC -, Cohen -, Bastien 409 (2 examples)

but I am yet to find an example

There are also short form obverse legend variations with PIAETAS.

Obv:–IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Minted in Lugdunum (_ C) Emission 9. Officina 2. January – August 282 A.D.
Reference(s) – Cohen 436. Bastien 411 (4 examples). RIC - Bust type F (Unlisted obverse legend, after RIC 120)

4.16g. 22.86mm. 180 degrees

Obv:–IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Minted in Lugdunum (_ retrograde C) Emission 9. Officina 2. January – August 282 A.D.
Reference(s) – Cohen 436. Bastien 418 (1 example cited). RIC - Bust type F (Unlisted obverse legend, after RIC 120)

3.61g. 23.07mm. 180 degrees

Martin

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: You say PIETAS, I say PIAETAS....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 12:32:11 pm »
 Hi, Martin,

It is an interesting observation, good to know it,  +++

Nice collection of this variation, congratulation.   +++

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: You say PIETAS, I say PIAETAS....
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 06:58:58 pm »
Seeing the Latin language evolving on coins is an interesting subject.
Evidently, there was a tendency to shorten the -AE ending to -E in the third and fourth century AD. For example, 4th cent. bronze coins often read Securitas (or whatever) ReipublicE, where in classical Latin ReipublicAE would have been correct. Now some engravers probably tried to write especially good Latin and overshot their mark ("I'd say Pietas, but I guess the official spelling would be Piaetas then, wouldn't it?").

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity