Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help to identify a silver trachy  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Please help to identify a silver trachy
« on: May 26, 2021, 05:48:55 am »
Hello. Please help me to identify this trachy.
Silver, 2.73 gr, 22 mm.
Looks like John III, but I did not find this type in silver.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Please help to identify a silver trachy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 11:04:40 pm »
I am away from my references, and I do not recall from memory if this type was issued in billon.  If it was, this may be a silver-plated billon coin.  The easiest way to tell would be to grind a point on the edge on a testing stone.  If you see fresh copper on the inside, then you will know that the coin is not silver after all. 

This was an issue a few years back with some mysterious "silver" billon aspron trachy coins of Isaac II that turned out to be ordinary issues with thick silver plating. 

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: Please help to identify a silver trachy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:50:38 am »
I tried, there is white metal (silver? billon? electrum?)
It looks like Sear 2073 but it must be golden according to catalogue.
I have found these two examples on the internet. Were Sear 2073 hyperpyrons also struck in silver? Or is it a different type? Or a kind of fourree?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity