Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Constantine and Trajan - The SPQR & Standards Reverse Type

(1/3) > >>

wolfgang336:
I read recently that Maria Alfoldi believed that Constantine was fascinated by Trajan. Unfortunately I don't have Alfodi's text on this point, but it does seem that at least some archaeological/numismatic evidence could corroborate this. The most obvious example would be Constantine 'borrowing' the styles and reliefs of Trajan for his famous arch.

The numismatic evidence is more enigmatic. A thread some years ago about a newly discovered follis from the London mint contained some suggestions that the reverse type (a figure seated on a curule-like chair constructed of cornucopias) had been inspired by a similar type by Trajan: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=85446.0. Alfodi is mentioned.

The same thread references Constantine's use of the SPQR Optimo Principi type, which was also used by Trajan. I include examples below (the follis is mine). My understanding is that Trajan's denarius was minted in approximately 112-113, which would place it precisely 200 years before Constantine adopted the type following his victory over Maxentius at the Milvian Bridge.

My question (which stems from a total ignorance of Trajanic coinage) is this: what event sparked Trajan's use of the type (the Dacian conquests?) and is there some reason to believe that Constantine was trying to draw a parallel between that event and his victory over Maxentius?

And are there other examples of Constantinian coinage seemingly drawn from Trajan?

Heliodromus:
Constantine certainly copied more than one of Trajan's coin types, and does seem to have had him on his mind... In Aurelius Victor's "De Caesaribus" he records that Constantine liked to call Trajan "herba parietaria" (wallflower) on account of so many roman walls having his name or likeness on them.

The three standards SPQR Optimo Principi type does of course copy Trajan, but interestingly more proximately copies Alexander of Carthage who had used it just a couple of years earlier (and who was in some sort of alliance with Constantine against Maxentius).

Constantine also copied Trajan's SPQR Optimo Principi in wreath gold type (unlisted for Constantine) which makes him seem a bit desperate. The type was appropriate to Trajan since he'd been awarded the title "Optimo Princeps" by the senate, and his version of the coin type features the oak-leaved corona civica which he had also been awarded. Constantine had neither the title nor corona civica, so his copy of the type has to use a different type of crown/wreath instead (corona sacerdotalis/spicea perhaps ?).

Later, in Constantinople, two unlisted Constantine types (one for himself, one for Constantius II as caesar) also copy Trajan SPQR types. The "SPQR Optimo Caesari" horseback type for Constantius also seems a bit inappropriate since Trajan's version apparently copied a (since lost) statue of himself, the Equus Traiani, which had been located in Trajan's forum in Rome.

Ben

wolfgang336:
Thanks for the informative post, Ben!

Do you know anything more about the unlisted Constantine bronze? I see Lech has described it as having its place in RIC VII after RIC Constantinople 15, but the style of the bust looks a bit odd for that series:

I'm not sure I can put my finger on why it looks later. It almost seems like it should be from the 340s, notwithstanding the impossibility:

Evan

Heliodromus:
Hi Evan,
No I don't know anything more about it, and have never seen it discussed, but I'm pretty sure it is Constantine I, not II.

Based on style it seems to be very late, c.336-337, where it is a good match.

Ben

DzikiZdeb:

--- Quote from: wolfgang336 on March 05, 2021, 11:09:28 am ---what event sparked Trajan's use of the type (the Dacian conquests?)

--- End quote ---
No, this reverse is related to the beggining of Parthian War. It belongs to Woytek group 14.3 (spring 113-summer 114) along with classic war motives: Victory, Virtus, Mars and two scenes: Trajan departing Rome for war (Profectio, RIC 263, Woytek 430) and Trajan appoints a new puppet king of Parthia (REX PARTHVS, RIC 263a, Woytek 431).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version