Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: sassanian coin content  (Read 3548 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
sassanian coin content
« on: April 11, 2004, 11:36:10 am »
i am familiar with sassanian coins, but thus far i have only seen silver drachms, :(
i hoped that they might issue other coins, i was wondering if any sassanian gold or bronze coins were ever made.

acv

Re:sassanian coin content
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:22:31 pm »
Hi,

The Sasanian did issue Gold and Copper coinage.  Gold coinage appears to have been issued only for special ceremonial occasions and to link back to Achaemenid times, not for general commerce.  Minor Sasanian coinage in copper and silver exist as well but are generally much harder to find than the drachm.  It could well be that the Sasanian economy was more feudal and thus military and tax payments were the main things for which coins were used.  If daily labor and goods and services were basically bartered it would explain why there are so few remaining minor coins when compared with Byzantine coins from the same period.

menelaos

Re:sassanian coin content
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 07:35:59 pm »
Hi,  

You should check this site.  It's dedicated to sasanian coinage, and it shows some bronze coins: http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/sasania/sasanian.html

All coins are guaranteed for eternity