Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sorry for the stupid question, but what did I buy here?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Sorry for the stupid question, but what did I buy here?
« on: January 11, 2005, 06:24:02 pm »
This is an interesting coin that I bought (I don't have it yet) which was too interesting not to take at the price of about two McDonalds meals. It is of silver, 10 mm, the given weight is 0,4 grams. The obverse shows a male head with (satrap's?) cap r.; the reverse is one I've never seen before, with (four?) apparently Semitic letters on a kind of rectangular tablet. Unfortunately, Semitic letters are still a book with seven seals to me, so can anybody tell me anything about this coin? Thanks in advance,
Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re:Sorry for the stupid question, but what did I buy here?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:25:46 pm »
This is what I think I see in this coin:

Loukianos

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 04:10:58 pm »
I should say something like Arados, Phoenicia. The basic type in IVth century is a stater (and all the subdivisions) with head of Melkart laureate, and galley on waves. Letters indicating the date were added later.
Cf this one in Wildwinds :
AR 1/12 stater = obol, (0.60g) c. 340 BC, Head of Melkart right. / Two Phoenician letters. Galley right, waves below. S5980.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 04:26:27 pm »
Hello Loukianos, thank you for your reply. I studied the net a little and think you are right it's from one of those Phoenician cities (Sidon, Arados, Tyros). I have the coin in hand now and it looks slightly different than I thought from the picture. So now I MS-PAINTed again:

Red: Water with ship r. and oarsmen
Blue: Three letters
Green: Another letter or the mast of the ship?
Yellow: The dotted outline of the incuse square.

What I didn't find anywhere is the letters in the field. Can anybody read them? They should help to pin down the city.

Thanks in advance,
Rupert

Loukianos

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 04:28:21 pm »
Another one (from CoinArchives):
1/12 Stater (Obol), 400/350 BC

Loukianos

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 04:41:48 pm »
From this one (a stater from CoinArchives), I think there are only two letters, in the middle :

Loukianos

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 04:47:51 pm »
Perhaps the right one (same letters?)
Arados, AR 1/12 Stater (Obol), 400/350 BC.; 0.56 g.

Loukianos

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 04:49:57 pm »
Yours for an easier comparison :

Loukianos

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 04:53:45 pm »
I found the letters very similar in all these coins. But unfortunately I've no idea of their meaning. Nevetheless it seems to indicate the city, and it would be Arados.

Loukianos

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 04:58:40 pm »
Another one, with date 13 on the left side of the inscription(IIIL). As we are in a semitic writing, it is to be read from right to left. The two letters are "MA", as I found in the description of another coin:
ARADOS. Stater, ca. 400-350. Kopf einer männlichen, bärtigen Gottheit mit Lorbeerkranz rechts. Rs: Galeere mit einer Reihe von Schilden über dreifacher Wellenlinie nach rechts fahrend, darüber "ma" (in phönikischer Schrift); das Ganze in Perlquadrat und in vertieftem Quadrat.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 05:02:24 pm »
Thanks a lot! I've looked it up in Coinarchives now as well, and searching "stater and arados" I found these pictures. Now I see the right "letter" actually is part of the ship's prow, as the left one belongs to its stern. That leaves two letters, which occur in similar shape on all these coins (it thus quite evidently belongs to this Arados series). The first letter on the right seems to me to be a mem, the second an aleph?, but I'm not sure. This is how I re-design the coin now with ship, letters, water and frame:

Loukianos

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 05:13:32 pm »
The meaning of "MA" seems to be "from Aradus". I found the explanation 'ex Arado’ (Latin translation); in semitic writing only the consonants are written down. So M stands for a word meaning "from", and A is the first letter of Arados.
In one of the previous pictures, these letters are followed (on the left) by numeral indicating the date.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 05:15:42 pm »
Thanks a lot, now it's all quite clear!

Rupert

Loukianos

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 05:20:38 pm »
Yes, we've got it...
Now it's time for me to go to bed, I've to get up early tomorrow (it's 11.30 pm here...)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 05:31:01 pm »
So we're in the same time zone. Same goes for me. Good night!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity