Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Drachms of Hormuzd IV with a cross  (Read 2456 times)

i-xan

Drachms of Hormuzd IV with a cross
« on: December 26, 2004, 05:13:06 am »
There exist so called Georgian-Sassanian drachms with a cross on the atashdan/fireplace instead of a fire with or without legends in Georgian.

E.Pakhomov in his Coins of Georgia also mentions that in Hermitage there’s a coin, drachm of Hormuzd IV with clear cross (bigger in size) behind the lower part of Hormuzd’s head, right above the shoulder. D.Kapanadze presents the similar coin in his book Georgian Numismatics, with even more clear cross in the same place.

I’ve seen drachms of Hormuzd IV with the fire on the fireplace, but with something resembling the cross behind the upper part of Hormuzd’s head (sorry, I’ve not got the scans yet). Lower, above the shoulder there’s a globe made up by a bunch of dots, probably representing the hairdress.

I have the following questions, could you help me, please

How common are drachms of Hormuzd IV with a cross-shape element behind his head?
In your opinion, was this a deliberate attempt of an engraver to represent the cross, or is this cross accidentally made up by dots representing the hairdress or its part? But why so high, right behind the lower part of the crown?
The element right above Hormuzd’s right shoulder is a hairdo, isn’t it?
What’s behind the lower part of the crown on drachms of Hormuzd IV?

In my consideration it maybe interesting for those collecting and researching Sassanian coins seriously.

i-xan

Re:Drachms of Hormuzd IV with a cross
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 03:21:14 pm »
No one got interested?
Here's the image

i-xan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 03:24:03 pm »
Do you see the cross?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 05:41:45 pm »
What you are calling a cross element behind the head is fairly common on coins of Hormazd IV.  This element represents the ties for the diadem and has nothing to do with religion.

Almost all examples in Sellwood, Gobl and Mitchiner show this element to some degree.

I would be more interested in seeing a picture of the coin you mention that is illustrated in Coins of Georgia, instead of the one you posted from Iran.

i-xan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 07:53:46 am »
At last!

What you are calling a cross element behind the head is fairly common on coins of Hormazd IV.  

I call it not a cross element but a cross-SHAPE element

This element represents the ties for the diadem and has nothing to do with religion.

thank you hcole

I would be more interested in seeing a picture of the coin you mention that is illustrated in Coins of Georgia

the quality of the reproductions is poor enough, I don't think it's a good idea to scan it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity