Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Afghanistan #4  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Afghanistan #4
« on: October 08, 2004, 08:44:34 am »
And here is the last one:
Oval, 4.84g, 22mm
obv. King with long clothes and with high hat standing l., holding bow(?)
rev. Two figures, one great, the other smaller, standing before a cow or
        horse(?)

Any information appreciated!

Regards,
Jochen

Manzikert

Re:Afghanistan #4
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:04:32 pm »
This is again Kushan or a derivitive. The reverse is Siva standing in front of his bull Nandi. What looks like a head of a smaller person to the left of him is actually the hump on the brahman bull's back.

The obverse has the king standing, with a standard and altar in front of him, over which he is holding out his hand.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any inscription to the right of the king, so it is probably very late (c.3-400 AD.)

Mitchiner shows these anonymous types in his 'Ancient and Classical World', spreading the coins over the period c.250-360, but I understand that most experts would say they were unattributable to definite kings. I hasten to add that I don't consider myself to be any sort of an expert!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re:Afghanistan #4
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 05:54:25 pm »
Manzikert, thank you very much for your attributions! I've looked at the related links for myself, but my coins are so odd, that I was not able to identify them without help!

Regards,
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity