Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian's Road Trips  (Read 4618 times)

basemetal

Hadrian's Road Trips
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:24 pm »
The whole concept in those times of the Emperor and his ah...entourage traveling.  Wonder what the lead time was for the provinces on the fact that he was coming and when he would arrive?  Bet many a provincial governer leapt up spilling his wine cup and exclaming:
"By the gods!  The emperor here in 5 months?  Why? Is he going to execute me?  We must prepare!
Raise taxes immediately! Ohhh...what will it cost to support the traveling court for who knows how many months? Why me?
All conjecture of course but...
And from what I've read Hadrian left a sort of "to do" list to put it mildly. He didn't stay to see his commands/projects  to completion.   
Build a wall.  Build a temple. Improve sanitation.  Prepare a "donative" to the people.  About ______ sesterci will be about right for the common folk, more for the soldiers.
The logistics of the whole thing must have been fascinating.
And it was mostly done.  The power of the emperor of Rome's commands.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Re: Hadrian's Road Trips
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 07:22:29 pm »
Hadrian remains one of my favorite emperors.  He certainly seemed ambitious and rather popular.  He seems to have had a profound impact on the infrastructure of the empire.  He chose to build up and fortify the empire, instead of "spreading it thin" like many emperors chose to do.

It seems he had the right management approach to getting things done.

Basemetal, I assume he is your favorite imperator as well??

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:18:25 pm »
If I was Hadrian, I would have left a number of "observers" in each province I visited to surreptitiously make sure that things were being done, and report back if they were not. Given the Roman mastery of the logistics required to move around forces ranging from one legion to half a dozen or more legions, I'm not sure moving an emperor with court, plus bodyguard would be necessarily all that difficult.
                                                                   LordBest. 8)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:06:03 pm »
Basemetal,

You should check out Following Hadrian by Elizabeth Speller, a wonderful book about Hadrian's travels.

Part historical fiction and part historical narrative, it offers a unique look at the emperor and his entourage.

A wonderful Hadrian aureus is shown on the cover as well.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:11:23 am »
Hi all
Another very good book about Hadrian is Marguerite Yourcenar's "memoirs of Hadrian" : ISBN 9780141184968 07 Dec 2000 Penguin Classic

In her magnificent novel, Marguerite Yourcenor recreates the life and death of one of the great rulers of the ancient world. The Emperor Hadrian, aware his demise is imminent, writes a long valedictory letter to Marcus Aurelius, his future successor. The Emperor meditates on his past, describing his accession, military triumphs, love of poetry and music, and the philosophy that informed his powerful and far-flung rule. A work of superbly detailed research and sustained empathy, Memoirs of Hadrian captures the living spirit of the Emperor and of Ancient Rome.

The novel is actually written from Hadrian's point of view, then many details are obviously invented by the author for the interest of the story, nevertheless it's a wonderful book

Regards
Potator

basemetal

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 04:17:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!
I guess I should have put it differently concering the traveling court concept. The romans were adept at traveling of course.   I think I meant more the idea of the imperial court showing up and staying for months in some cases.  Kind of like having your Mother and Father-in Laws visit and "critique" your household. 
There must have been many sighs of relief when the court departed.
Lord Best, thanks for the idea of "observers".  It makes perfect sense.
Vitruvius:  He is probably third of my favorites.  Antoninus Pius is actually the emperor I'm most fond of because he to me represents the most calm "golden" period of the empire.  Also, given the times and accepted customs, the writings suggest him to be a decent, sane man who was fiscally responsible.
I find myself in possession of an alarming and increasing number of his coins, as well...lol!

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 11:27:04 pm »
Basemetal,

Antoninus Pius is one of my favorites as well.  Lately I've taken a deep interest in Pius' adoptive son, Marcus Aurelius (influenced by my Philosophy class).  I recommend everyone read "Meditations" when they can.  It seems Aurelius really tired to be a "good" emperor, no matter what the cost.  His thoughts to me really sum up what life is about...doing your duty well, sacrificing yourself for others, being a good father no matter how busy you are...I guess I'm starting to sound like a "Stoic"! ::)

Vespasian,

I'm about halfway through Following Hadrian by Elizabeth Speller.  This is a well written book which points out good and bad qualities of the popular emperor.  This book is clarifying many things about Hadrian...  Thanks!!

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 08:12:24 am »
Glad your enjoying the book Vitruvius. It is a mighty good read.

Another great book about Hadrian with a more scholarly approach is Hadrian, The Restless Emperor by A. R. Birley. It's a wonderful biography that is a joy to read.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 08:58:12 am »
Thanks once again for the tip.  I'll dive into that book next!

Semper Gratus.

V

basemetal

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 09:06:03 pm »
Lol...I love that Nero was roundly criticised for traveling to Greece, but Hadrian was seen as simpy expanding his horizons, and shoring up and improving  the empire.  I don't disagree, just find the irony interesting!

AncientCoins

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 07:22:24 am »
Lol...I love that Nero was roundly criticised for traveling to Greece, but Hadrian was seen as simpy expanding his horizons, and shoring up and improving  the empire.  I don't disagree, just find the irony interesting!

Yeah, but wasn't Nero there to sing or learn poetry and stuff? ??? :)

Andrew

basemetal

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 07:55:46 pm »
I believe so, but Hadrian traveled to Greece to participate in a mystery cult ceremony(s) also.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 10:19:12 pm »
There seem to be two distinct differences between Nero and HadrianHadrian was all about the empire, and how he could improve and further stabilize it.  Nero was all about himself!!  The mere fact that he built an extraordinarily lavish palace after the great fire in 64 is just plain wrong!

Hadrian may have been involved in a mysterious ceremony based on his love for the Hellenistic culture, but can we really compare a strong leader who gave himself for the empire to a young selfish brat with no sense of humanity?

Is it obvious Nero is my favorite? :)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
I think initiation into a mystery was one thing, and making a public idiot of yourself singing and participating in chariot races was quite another! The latter was very unRoman as far as traditionalists were concerned.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity