Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Great Women in History  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
Great Women in History
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:31:49 am »
Who do you think are the great women of history

Here is one of my candidates: Flavia Iulia Helena

Any discussion of this remarkable woman, mother of Constantine the Great, must begin with her humble origins.  As John Julius Norwich notes about the Emperor's mater, ". . . his mother Helena was a humble innkeeper's daughter from Bithynia . . . Only later in her life, when her son had acceded to the supreme power, did she become the most venerated woman in the Empire; only in 327, when she was already over seventy, did this passionately enthusiastic Christian convert make her celebrated pilgrimage to the Holy Land, there miraculously to unearth the True Cross and so to achieve sainthood" (Norwich, John Julius. A Short History of Byzantium. London: Viking, 1997. 3-4). 

While much of what we know about Helena seems spun with saintly proportions (handy attributes for the service of a new, unifying state religion), there is no denying her religious fervor nor her temporal power.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Great Women in History
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:03:15 am »
My adoration is for Hypatia, the great philosopher and scientist of Alexandria. She was massacred AD 415 by a Christian mob so 'eliminating the last relicts of paganism' as written by Johannes of Nikiu.

Best regarsds

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:44:23 am »
I second Jochens choice, always felt sorry for Hypatia, a genius. Getting stripped by a mob and dismbembered by ceramic tiles cant be fun.
I'd also add Livia and Julia Domna to the list, immensely powerful women. As for Helena, she didnt do too badly for a tavern wh**e, which is what barmaids were back then, and still were up until the early 20th century. Even till the present day in some cases, theres this little pub near...oh, never mind... ;)
                                                               LordBest. 8)

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:11:25 am »
Jochen & Lord Best,

Are there any coins that depict Hypatia?

Cleisthenes

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 09:57:12 am »
No, there are no coins, no sculptures or ancient paintings of Hypatia. But she is depicted by Raphael on his famous 'School of Athens' (AD 1509-1510).

Best regards

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 10:47:03 am »
Jochen,

Thank you for the Raphael; it is a pleasure!

Jim (Cleisthenes)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 12:47:03 pm »
I find Queen Nefertari of Egypt interesting.

I also find Wu Zetian, the only formal female empress in Chinese history worthy of reading; although her reputation is rather tainted; partly because of the prejudices of male dominated society that was ancient China, and partly because of her own misdeeds(a theme repeated many times in Chinese political history when a strong woman comes along, the latest was Mao's wife).

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:16:21 pm »
IAs for Helena, she didnt do too badly for a tavern wh**e, which is what barmaids were back then,

In some sense, people who overcame their dubious beginnings are deserving of more respect than people who were born into wealth and comfort.

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 02:38:58 pm »
I would have to say that I find Zenobia one of my favorites.  The "Warrior Queen"  ;D

Now is all I need is one of these:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 06:23:56 pm »
Cleopatra VI and Berenike II must have been pretty formidable ladies in their own way, making imperators and emperors-to-be fall for them, despite the damage to their reputations which resulted from being entangled with foreign queens.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline the_Apostate

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 05:40:28 am »
Thanks for that info Jochen. I had somehow missed that that figure was meant to depict Hypatia.

Anyway here's the model for Hypatia Francesco Maria della Rovere, duke of Urbino as an older man.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 09:43:50 pm »
I love that blackened half harness he is wearing, which incidentally I believed is preserved in the Schloss Ambras collection. But I may be mistaken, so many Urbino clan plate harnesses have survived. But, off topic. ::)
                                                  LordBest. 8)   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity