Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Curious handless round oil lamp. Frog lamp? Egyptian?  (Read 1369 times)

John B16

Curious handless round oil lamp. Frog lamp? Egyptian?
« on: July 08, 2021, 06:45:47 am »
Hi,

Firstly I've been going through this forum for the past few days and have been blown away by the amount of knowledge shared around here.

Whilst I'm quite new to collecting, I've always been interested in the ancient world.

I recently acquired a pair of oil lamps at a local auction.

I think one of them is North African, about 300-500 A.D. The other one I'm a bit more uncertain about.

From some of my research, I think it might be from Egypt under the roman rule as it seemed quite close to some of the "Frog lamps" I'd seen.

Any thoughts and imput would be welcome.

Like I said, I'm knew and I didn't pay a lot for these so I don't mind if they're fakes.

Many thanks,

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
Re: Curious handless round oil lamp. Frog lamp? Egyptian?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 08:59:30 pm »
Both of your lamps are authentic.

The lamp without a handle is indeed what is popularly known as a 'frog lamp' (some of them depict frogs). It was made in Egypt during the 2nd-4th centuries AD.

The lamp with a handle was made in the central Mediterranean area during the 2nd-early 3rd centuries AD. The fabric suggests Italy but similar lamps were also made in North Africa. A clear image of the bottom of the lamp may help to pin down its origin.

You may find my website useful in helping to identify ancient lamps:
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/

David Knell

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:24 am »
Thanks David for your help here and for creating your excellent website. 

Nice lamps John.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 05:43:24 pm »
Soot stains by the nozzle are always a bonus.

Not a guarantee of genuineness as they can be faked, but nice when you have them on genuine ones like these.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

John B16

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:00 am »
Many thanks for your expert knowledge!

Apologies for the delay with my response, I suffered from a loss of internet for half a week.

Regarding the Italian lamp, which has been repaired. I've attached a photo of the bottom. I don't have the best camera in the world so I don't think it's visible but there seems to be some latin writing underneath. I think I can make out an "A." and maybe an "R".

Thanks once more for your help,

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 12:02:21 pm »
Thanks for the image of the bottom of the lamp, John. Although the vast majority of examples of this lamp type on the market were made in North Africa, the base of this one does seem to confirm my suspicion that your example may have been made in Italy.

This type very often has a maker's name on the base. Taking a photo of an object under a raking light can reveal such details much better than the naked eye.

Thanks, Joe. And I agree, Shawn. I like soot stains too!
David Knell

All coins are guaranteed for eternity