Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian dupondius - before and after  (Read 3064 times)

singig

Domitian dupondius - before and after
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:11:08 pm »
I would like to present you my last cleaning(I kept the coin 24hours in lemon juice) and ask you some tips to age the coin naturally.
Or, what type of artificial patination you will use for this type of coin, something that can be found easy on the market ?  I found this article, but I’m lost with all the chemical terms
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/cleaning_coin_p23_patination.shtml

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Domitian dupondius - before and after
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »
You are not finished. You still have "bronze disease" to treat. Search this site for how to do it.
PeteB

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:44 pm »
The BD may be already 'treated' inasmuch as the patina has been removed by the acid soak. I would thoroughly soak the coin in water a day or two to remove any chloride ion and then dry the coin in a warm oven (200 F) for half an hour. Then apply a good wax coating to protect what you have.

The chemical patinating solutions that you to refer to seem mostly designed to create an attractive tint on sound metal surfaces. That doesn't really apply here.

Regards , Dave

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:37:42 pm »
Are you sure it was bronze disease?  Soaking in lemon juice is not how you treat BD.   ???

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 12:37:03 pm »
"Bronze disease" is caused by a layer of copper(I) chloride under the patina or crust that slowly oxidizes in the presence of air and moisture to produce acids that eat holes in the metal underneath and dissolve the patina above. You can see these effects pretty clearly here. The best way to treat it, if you want to preserve the patina, is to deprive the coin of air and moisture i.e dry it out thoroughly with heat and then wax it up. In the extreme case, when there is no patina worth preserving, then you can strip it down to the bare metal as was done here. The holes and corrosion left in the copper by the BD are pretty obvious but it is unlikely to go further since the copper(I) chloride layer has been stripped away along with the patina.

The problem then is what to do with the coin if you don't like the bright metal surface that is left? Re-creating a patina once you have removed it is more-or-less impossible. There are various paint-like materials (Jax?) that I know little about.  My own patented antidote is to rub graphite into the porous metal surface and then wax it down. It can always be removed with alcohol and it might create a more uniformly dark and attractive appearance though I wouldn't expect it to materially "improve" the coin.

regards, Dave

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »
If those green spots were hard (which it appears they were) then there was no active bronze disease...People see green and over react. 

singig

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:51:38 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice ! now I am more knowledgeable about the BD

After the cleaning I kept the coin for one day in a very humid place(to make it darker) and the green powder has reappeared in each small hole
Following your advice I washed then dry well the coin ,   using a small  bamboo stick I cleaned all the remains of  green powder.  Now I will keep the coin in dry place for a while to see if the green powder will reappear.
Daverino, can you please tell me what type of wax are you using(I never used this) ? do you polish the coin after ? do you have some picture examples please?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 04:24:11 pm »
Ok, well if it was powdery then it was BD.

After you treat it correctly you can place it in an oven on low heat to remove any moisture.  Then use Renaissance wax.  You don't need a lot of wax just a bit on the tip of your finger.  Work it in all around the coin and let it dry a few minutes.  You can then buff it with a soft cloth. 

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
As Jay says, RenWax is good but dry the coin thoroughly first and use plenty of wax since it appears your coin is still susceptible to BD. Also keep it in a dry place if you can. Good luck

singig

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 08:19:39 pm »
Thank you both ! , I just bought a 65ml size can.
I will post the results after I receive the wax.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 03:58:14 am »
I can recommend using jax to darken the coin once you are sure it is stable, and before waxing.... It actually darkens the metal rather than coating the coin....

Here is a coin that I was kindly given by one of the members here which had active BD on the reverse ( you can still see the pitting...) which I treated and repatinated with Jax brown, and which I'm very happy with the result.

As you are only changing the colour, and not adding or hiding anything I think this is the most "honest" way of repatination ( although it should be described as "repatinated after treatment for BD" )

Best wishes,

Lee.

singig

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »
thanks for your answer !

Is this the right product to buy :
http://www.jaxchemical.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=37
If not, do you have another brand option?
What color did you used on the coin : Brown,  Brown-Black , Black , Flemish Gray-Black  ?
I will test it on some cheap cleaned coins before.

Thanks !!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:50 pm »
Jax can be reused by pouring it back into the container once you're done.  You don't need a lot of it unless you plan on stripping hundreds of coins  :laugh:

Buy the sampler pack with different colors:
[REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 06:23:51 pm »
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a sodium carbonate/sodium bi-carbonate solution.  One is simply backing soda, and it's easy to make.  I've treated a few coins with bronze disease this way with good results.  Once completely dry I use Ren.-wax.  You will loose a small amount of patina, but I find it can help darken some coins depending on the minerlization.  If anyone might be opposed to this I'd be curious to hear their opinion.
Matt

singig

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 01:05:38 pm »
As I promised please find below the final result after using the renaissance wax(4-5 layers).
The coin is getting darker easily after 3 weeks, without using any chemical solution, you just need to be patient. The wax was applied yesterday.

Thanks for all your advices!

Jay GT4 can you please resend me the url for ‘’the jax sampler pack with different colors ‘’

All coins are guaranteed for eternity