Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning an antonianus before and after  (Read 1890 times)

Offline john3030

• Consul
Cleaning an antonianus before and after
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:10:06 am »
Ok well i dont usually clean ancient silver coins. I understand a toned coin is more desirable. But this one may have been an exception. There was a blotchy stain on the reverse. On the obverse there was green encrustration.......which got worse over time. I had the coin for like 2 years. I have only cleaned spanish bronze coins in olive oil and experimented cleaning coins with ammonia.

I used an ammonia bath for only 5 minutes. The house hold type from supermarket. A baking soda paste was firstly used for cleaning.....it was very effective.

Offline john3030

• Consul
Re: Cleaning an antonianus
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 12:18:45 am »
This is the coin before cleaning in daylight. Notice all the green encrustation in the beard.

Offline john3030

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:30:46 am »
Thats the coin cleaned below. Thankfully the stain came out ok and the green encrustation came out. Yes toning is desirable on a coin but i guess not blotchy stains. The green encrustation left after cleaning, well i wont take it any further as a pit would be left. I used baking soda as a mild abrasive. Then ammonia for 5 minutes. Hopefully the coin will now tone evenly over time.

Offline john3030

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:59:45 am »
I am happy with the coin now.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Cleaning an antonianus before and after
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:32:48 am »
Nice job!  Looks great now.

So by "household" you mean household strength?  Did you dilute it with water or just pour a bit out of the bottle?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline john3030

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:44:44 am »
Yeah i used the house hold strength ammonia from the supermarket it says on bottle active ingredient 20g/Litre Ammonia. I poured it out the bottle, then used it undiluted. You can try experimenting with less precious coins even modern coins to see how they react. I had an australian $1 coin in ammonia for a week and it ruined the surface metal.

Its all about a bit of experimentation.

Offline john3030

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:38:44 am »
Its more about conservation and preservation. Than cleaning ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity