Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Do you really change DW everyday?  (Read 2292 times)

johnny676767

Do you really change DW everyday?
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:46 pm »
I've only been at this for 2-3 months and have really just been soaking in DW and using a toothbrush with mild soap. I also mechanically clean with a microscope. A lot I have read here says to chage DW everyday. Is that really necessary? I have seen that allowing the coins to soak in DW does in fact work but I have gotten away from changing the water everyday. Does that matter? I also wonder if the volume of water being used affects frequency of changes. What is your opinion? Thanks!

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
Re: Do you really change DW everyday?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:57:37 am »
Funny, but I asked myself these same questions not all that long a go.  I found that the most effective thing with that step is to wet/dry/wet/dry.... continually to allow the expansion and contraction to happen to all of the crust.  I do this inbetween manually cleaning and it seems to help.  The distilled water helps  to remove the dissolved minerals/metals that the coin is leaching-out.

Hope this helps
Matt

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:49:55 am »
The theory is that as DW has no minerals dissolved in it, it will more aggressively dissolve any soluble minerals on the coin. This extra disolveabilty stops working when the water is saturated with minerals, so as a rule of thumb I change the water every day for the first week or so, then leave for longer and longer periods.... You can generally judge how often you need to change the water by the condition of the coin....
  If the crud is softening up overnight you probably want to change the water... If its remaining rock hard, not so much.

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
When I was cleaning uncleaneds, I found best results to change the DW whenever you removed the coin for manual cleaning.  Otherwise, change every 2-3 days - but swirl the water daily.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:53:50 pm »
Change the water daily if it is blue.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:10 pm »
I only change it when it is cloudy if it stays clear I do nothing. I have had great results, you must be patient of course!  :)

CrustyBronze

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:37:10 am »
with dirty coins change the water when there is a film forming on top of the water or when there is some residue or stains  forming under the coin

I generally leave the coins for about 3-4 weeks before looking at them to see if the water needs changed

more importantly -  in my opinion-  is to clean the container after every other water change because they can get real dirty and the process is much more effective if you do so

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:36 pm »
I would definitely change the water promptly if it turns blue. The blue comes from dissolved copper ions and suggests that the water has become acidic. Changing the water will tend to leach out the acid.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity