Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silvered romans advice needed  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Tom R

• Praetorian
Silvered romans advice needed
« on: February 12, 2016, 01:18:45 am »
I have a bunch of silvered roman coins that I have acquired. These are silvered Antoninianus with various encrustrations.
The surface dirt has come off relatively easily but am unsure where to go from here.
I have cleaned fully silver coins easily but am weary of the delicate silver surface. Where the coin's surface is clean of dirt and encrustations, it is black/brown with silver spots here and there.
Should I use lemon juice, let the silver alone, or use another process?
Thanks for your advice

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Silvered romans advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:50:36 am »
There's a stickied thread in this subforum specifically on how to clean silvered coins.
Andreas Reich

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Silvered romans advice needed
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:29 am »
Beautiful coins.

Don't use any acids!

Soap and water should in theory eventually get all dirt off.

The dark spots are silver tarnish.  Careful working with scalpel under magnification will clean them fully.  Though some people like to leave them at the no-dirt stage and not worry about getting them shiny.

Up to you.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity