Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CLR?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
CLR?
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:48:42 am »
Anyone ever try dipping coins in CLR?  It might be a good way to dissolve deposits, but would it hurt the patina?  Would it even work?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: CLR?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:57:25 pm »
The answer is the same as to your question regarding acid. The answer will be the same for ultrasonic cleaners, Coca Cola, heating coins up, using any number of other chemicals, tumblers, power tools etc. Everything has been tried. There is no magic bullet to effortlessly clean coins. Only try cleaning uncleaned coins if you enjoy the act of cleaning and accept that you won't ever see your money again and will not get any collectable coins out of it. And by collectable I mean coins that you'd still want in your collection 5 or 10 years from now.

The most promising way to clean coins is to buy single coins that can be cleaned and clean them mechanically under magnification. But even then it's a labour of love. I have dramatically improved a few coins I bought but I have so many coins I could clean, that I could spend hundreds of hours on it. It's a nice skill to have but you really have to enjoy it. It's not a way to build a collection and not a wise way to spend money. That by itself is not a problem, hobbies generally are a pleasant waste of money. When I started collecting a little over 10 years ago, the Golden Age of Uncleaned coins had been over for just a few years, then you could still find the occasional interesting coin in an uncleaned lot. Now you spend money on what, after cleaning, are a handful of mediocre coins, money for which you could have bought the same number of coins in well above average condition.

I don't mind spending a lot of money on nice coins but spending a lot of money and not having any nice coins to show for it is crazy.

If you're interested in information about CLR, rather than a rant, use the forum search. These questions have all been answered several times before and some of these methods, despite not being magic bullets, have some very limited use in coin cleaning.
Andreas Reich

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: CLR?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 03:04:09 pm »
Totally agree with Areich's post.  I started with uncleaned till I read a post here that basically said; "why spend $70 for slugs or duplicates of what you already have"?  Instead buy a nice coin for that amount that fits your collection.  That said, I still buy uncleaned on occasion because I do enjoy cleaning them; but I am constantly disappointed.  The days of nice cheap uncleaned are gone I'm afraid .  But as Areich said well; hobbies are a pleasant way to waste money.  Do what gives you enjoyment.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity