Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How do I use Gringots solutution?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
How do I use Gringots solutution?
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:29:11 pm »
So I ordered a bag of Gringots number 2 mix but it came with no instructions, how do I use this stuff?

Also how safe is the number 2 on patina?

Offline Jeff K

• Praetorian
Re: How do I use Gringots solutution?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:23:10 pm »
Anybody?

So after a search I THINK I figured it out, here is what I did:

1 heaping tablespoon of Gringots to 2 cups of boiling distilled water, then I just dropped the coins in to soak, after a day they are showing improvement, I'll check again after a week.  Did I do it right?

I did notice though that despite my stirring I seem to have a layer of undesolved powder on the bottom of the container, is that normal?

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: How do I use Gringots solutution?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 08:36:59 pm »
Hi Jeff,

I've never used Gringgott's #2, though I do have a bag of it. However, I have used Gringgott's #1 quite a bit. As I recall, #1 is better for long term soaks, while #2 is for short term soaking.

The instructions that came with #1 are very similar to what you found. What I would suggest is this: Take a container that is microwave-safe and boil two cups of distilled (DI) water. Get it very, very hot. Using some oven mitts, move the still boiling water to a work area, then mix in one table spoon of Gringgott's. Most of it will dissolve, but some will inevitably remain at the bottom. So much as I can tell this is harmless, but I wouldn't want the powder just sitting on top of coins either. Stir with a spoon and pour into another temperature safe dish (plastic works fine). Drop your coins in while the liquid is still very hot, then let it cool off without a lid. Once it's cool, cover it.

Gringgott's #1 suggests 7-10 days of waiting, but #2 is for shorter term. I would think only a few days. You can probably do repeat cycles if you want, but you'll need to remake the solution each time and rinse the coins in DI water.  

With #1, you will notice the solution start to turn blue-green after a while. Gringgott's is basically a specialty detergent/solvent, and I believe it works by creating an ionic environment that favors the dissolving of copper salts from the surface of the coin. DI water does the same thing, but perhaps the other components in Gringgott's provide something for the copper to bind in the solution to keep it dissolved - but I really can't be sure.

Regardless, don't expect anything too miraculous. It does genuinely work, but it won't take a slug or low grade coin and make it high-end. The quality of the starting product sets the cap on what you will see. It doesn't seem to harm patina, but there are never any guarantees there.

Happy Holidays,
C

Edit: I actually just searched for directions on the web, and happened to notice that Gringgott's number 2 isn't available on their website anymore. I'm not sure what to make of that, but perhaps it's temporarily unavailable.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity