Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 143718 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #900 on: January 09, 2023, 05:26:56 am »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on January 08, 2023, 05:06:38 pm
I'm not sure how many more lists he published under his name, but he continued doing business as oldromancoins.com for quite a while.

Henri Delger is the one I recall in the early to mid 2000s running oldromancoins.com. Was he and Kreuzer partners?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #901 on: January 09, 2023, 08:18:41 am »
Matt Kreuzer owned oldromancoins.com after Henri Delger retired. I don't know if he bought it or if they were partners before that. Matt stopped selling retail and became one of Forum's largest consignors, which he still is today.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #902 on: February 17, 2023, 10:00:05 pm »
Here's another interesting Forum Purchase of the Day (but purchased a couple years ago) that I've just added to my "captives" Album: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=180556

Roman Provincial. Egypt, Alexandria, Severus Alexander Potin Tetradrachm (11.20g, 21mm, 12h), dated RY 13 (233/4 CE).
Obverse: Α ΚΑΙ ΜΑΡ ΑΥΡ ϹƐΥ ΑΛƐΞΑΝΔΡΟϹ. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Severus Alexander right, seen from the rear.
Reverse: LIΓ to right (Year 13). Trophy of captured arms (helmet with cheek flaps, cuirass, four shields, and four javelins); at the base, two Germanic captives seated back to back, hands bound behind them; to left, palm.
References: RPC Online VI Temp. 10618; Emmett 3138/13; K & G 62.205; Milne 3166; Dattari 4404; BMC Alex. 1701; Geissen 2491.
Provenance: Ex-Forum Ancient Coins (Corr. Date; # RX92522 [LINK]; 23 Dec 2020), Errett Bishop (1928-1983) Collection.

A couple of interesting things about it...

Severus Alexander had just concluded a peace with Germanic tribes in 234 and commemorated it with these coins, depicting Germanic captives. (On close inspection, I've always wondered, could that be a hairstyle similar to a Suebian knot? Hair swept forward, up, and knotted.)

Zoom in on Forum's sale photo:

Despite proclaiming his conquest, Severus Alexander's troops were apparently dissatisfied with his leniency toward the Germans. This has been suggested as a major reason for his (and his mother, Julia Mamea's) assassination by his own troops, and replacement by their commander Maximinus in 235 (within a year after this coin was struck).

Maximinus, of course, kept the coin type. Here is my example from his third regnal year (236/7), also from my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174801

Both coins continue the tradition of imagery first begun by Julius Caesar's Denarius of 46 BCE: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=174799

However, one of the interesting things about third century versions is the introduction of what we would call today "stress positions" on many of the captives coins. (On the Severus Alexander, but not the Maximinus above.) Notice how, unlike Julius Caesar's captives (or Vespasian's or Trajan's), Alexander's captives are not allowed to sit on the ground and mourn at rest, but instead appear to be bound in a squatting position, their hands (or elbows?) tied to the trophy, their muscles stretched taut. Likewise, later 3rd century rulers would depict the captives being spurned by Sol (Aurelian) or their horses (Probus). Apparently the cruelty of bound captivity no longer satisfied!
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #903 on: March 01, 2023, 03:53:55 pm »
Just got this one today. I will have more to say about it when I post it in my Gallery, but for now, this is my latest from Forum. Nice coin, I am happy with it for sure.

Neapolis, Campania, Italy, c. 270 - 250 B.C.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #904 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:50 pm »
Great color!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #905 on: June 16, 2023, 11:36:53 pm »
I have picked up a few coins lately from Forum, as well as some inexpensive Member's Auction coins. I am getting ready to put this one in my gallery, along with the others, but wanted to post this one here. I rarely buy more than one coin of a particular type and mint (the exception is Phillip II bronze naked horsemen), but here is one where I did. This is a Hoover R1 and a couple months ago I found my first one that is already in my gallery. Then, a few weeks later, it pops up in the Forum store. I had to have it. The first one has the best obverse I have ever seen. The Forum coin below has a wonderful obverse and a better centered reverse than my original. I am happy to have both, they are both great coins. I have a hard time explaining why I love these coins with the bull.

Paphlagonian Kingdom, Pylaimenes III Euergetes, c. 108 - 89 B.C.

Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #906 on: March 12, 2024, 07:39:41 pm »
Decided to post this wonderful medal in Forum Purchase o’ The Day. This is nowhere near my collecting field but when I saw it in Joe’s shop I simply had to have it.

A centenary silver medal of the Battle of Trafalgar. The medal photo and complete write-up come straight from Joe. I didn’t change a thing.

Hope that you enjoy: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186314

Tracy

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #907 on: March 14, 2024, 08:51:29 pm »
…and another great Forum Purchase O’ The Day: another medal related to Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson. This one commemorates the wreck of HMS Foudroyant in 1897, Lord Nelson’s flagship from June 6, 1799 until the end of June 1800 (so Wikipedia tells me). This medal was made from the copper that sheathed the ship's hull.

One of the many things that attracted me to this medal was the fact that a former owner (I assume) attached a pendant loop to it. Was it worn for some time around someone’s neck? Such a loop, to me, is evidence that the medalhad a life”, perhaps as someone’s accouterment.

Thanks for looking: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186328

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity