Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Numismatic Tourism in Copenhagen and Stockholm  (Read 14412 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Numismatic Tourism in Copenhagen and Stockholm
« on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
I apologize for posting in English, however I don't understand Swedish. 

I will briefly be in both Copenhagen and Stockholm this summer, and would appreciate any suggestions concerning coin dealers in either city.  I remember visiting Peter Flensborg in Copenhagen decades ago when I last visited that city, and see that he appears to still be in business.

Also, I definitely have the Coin and Medal gallery at the Danish National Museum on my agenda.  Does anyone have any thoughts concerning the Royal Coin Cabinet in Stockholm?

Thanks for any assistance or advise.

Stkp

Offline Kim B. N

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Re: Numismatic Tourism in Copenhagen and Stockholm
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:26:42 pm »
Army buddy of mine got a shop ca 30 mins in train from Copenhagen. Roskilde the city it self is a beauty. Some of the first coins in Denmark was made there.  :) And the Viking ship museum is the trip worth. i can send you an Mail if you like, with the adress ect.?

Kind regards Kim

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:28:28 am »
Hello Stkp,

I am a little embarrassed to say that i personally have not got around to visiting the "Royal Coin Cabinet in Stockholm" yet, although it is on my agenda.

Here is a link that will give you an idea of what to expect when visiting (sorry about it being in Swedish).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNPAtE5fYM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

All the best
Arados

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:46:05 am »
I'm visiting Stockholm and Helsinki soon, so this thread is interesting. Is there anything in Helsinki?

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:57:31 am »

National Museum has a Coin cabinet containing eg Keckmann collection.

http://www.nba.fi/fi/tietopalvelut/esinekokoelmat/rahakammio

Pekka K

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:12:34 am »

Pekka K

Thanks Pekka

If the collections (Stockholm or Helsinki) contain much RR material, especially rarer types or bronzes, then I may arrange to look at coins not on display. It does sound that Helsinki is mostly non-ancient.

Andrew

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:26:17 am »

Yes, and maybe thin of RR material.

Pekka K

ps. We have next week a meeting of Ancient Coin Club in Helsinki.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:40:11 am »
Hi Andrew,
The museum is open every day apart from national holidays between 10:00 and 19:00.
It would be an honour to meet up with you and give me a opportunity to travel into Stockholm and see the Royal mint collection. When were you planning on visiting ?

Regards
Martin

P.S Anybody else for that matter visiting Stockholm, please let me know. I´m pretty sure that Lee S would also be interested in meeting up with any fellow numismatic enthusiasts.  +++

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:39 am »
I am a little embarrassed to say that i personally have not got around to visiting the "Royal Coin Cabinet in Stockholm" yet, although it is on my agenda.

I know the feeling.  There are many things in my home city that I have not gotten around to doing, some of which were short-term exhibits that I missed entirely.  But when we travel, we want to explore...

[/quote]
Here is a link that will give you an idea of what to expect when visiting (sorry about it being in Swedish).
[/quote]

Thanks for the link.  I won't be in Stockholm for very long, but my hotel is within an easy walk of the museum, and I'll be able to visit while my wife explores the Gamla Stan.

Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:00:24 am »

Pekka K

Thanks, Pekka.  I will be in Helsinki also, but for less than a day.  I will keep the museum in mind.  I haven't yet begun to plan what we will do during our short visit.  Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:52 am »
Army buddy of mine got a shop ca 30 mins in train from Copenhagen. Roskilde the city it self is a beauty. Some of the first coins in Denmark was made there.  :) And the Viking ship museum is the trip worth. i can send you an Mail if you like, with the adress ect.?

Kind regards Kim

Thanks, Kim.  I sent you a private email message.  Stkp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:07 am »
Hi Andrew,
The museum is open every day apart from national holidays between 10:00 and 19:00.
It would be an honour to meet up with you and give me a opportunity to travel into Stockholm and see the Royal mint collection. When were you planning on visiting ?

Regards
Martin

Hi Martin

I'd love to coordinate a visit. Date is not yet set, but it would be as soon as the sun rises properly in Helsinki in 2014 (so am thinking April), because Stockholm and Helsinki will be in the same trip. I'd be in touch before then!

Andrew

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:03:36 am »
Pekka, i read on NBA´S website that in 2002 the Cabinet acquired over 2000 ancient Greek coins from the collection of SKOP Bank. Do you have any additional information regarding these coins ?

Martin

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 09:32:42 am »

That is the Keckman collection mentioned above.
Maybe some 200 additonal coins of 2 other, minor
collections previously owned by SKOP Bank.

Pekka K

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 09:41:14 am »

That is the Keckman collection mentioned above.
Maybe some 200 additonal coins of 2 other, minor
collections previously owned by SKOP Bank.

Pekka K

Thanks Pekka,

Can the majority of these coins be found in SNG Keckman I & II ?

Martin

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

Yes, I think that almost all Keckman's Greek coins are listed on these.
(He did add maybe a few coins to his collection after selling the coins
published in SNG:s to SKOP Bank.)

Pekka K

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 05:47:16 am »
Definatly count me in for a Stockholm  +++ ;D +++meet up! It will be fun to put a face on the names!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Numismatic Tourism in Helsinki and Stockholm
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 05:04:39 am »
This is just some short feedback from my visits to Stockholm and Helsinki. The trip was brief and I was with my very aged parents who needed accompaniment most times so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to make any appointments with well known northerners on Forum. Stockholm has a simply marvellous numismatic museum, possibly the best I've ever seen, spread over three floors and with well designed themed exhibition areas e.g. on hoards, on savings, on Nobel prizes etc. Very nicely done. I saw some coins in the National Museum in Finland, but not so much. Aside from numismatics, the highlight of Stockholm was the Vasa, the massive warship that sank immediately after its launch in 1628 due to its design (too narrow, too high, insufficient ballast), which unlucky incident has led to it luckily being completely preserved in a dedicated museum. The highlights of Helsinki were everywhere around me, stunning home-grown architecture and design, of a quality and richness that could only match Florence. Apart from the brilliant highlights of the Vasa and the Numismatic Museum, Stockholm struck me as a rather dull city for a visitor, somewhat mono-cultural (I might say the same about my native Dublin), and I ran out of things that interested me or places to go rather quickly. Helsinki was simply marvellous, and aside from its home-grown design and architecture it seems amazingly receptive to external influences, full of ethnic restaurants and considerate people, literary, artistic, really vibrant, very easy to get around and simply stuffed with small, high quality and interesting museums, I can think of few cities with so much to see in such a small area. I will be back again, without my parents, perhaps with my daughter who would really appreciate it, perhaps on my own or with a friend to explore the music and nightlife scene.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:20 am »
Any personal pics of the Vasa I would love to see that if I went to that part of the World that would be the number one thing to see
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:00 am »
Any personal pics of the Vasa I would love to see that if I went to that part of the World that would be the number one thing to see

Here: it's so massive that getting a camera angle was tough. Those are Roman emperors on the prowstem at left on the first picture.

I'd have included some pics of the Stockholm coin museum, but it's more an experience to be enjoyed, and didn't photograph terribly well. Instead I include a random photo from Finland, in fact taken inside Burger King, Helsinki. Helsinki is to ordinary cities as this Burger King is to ordinary burger joints.

postscript: and one of the oldies having fun too...

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 09:57:55 am »
With respect Andrew  ;D, you did mention that your trip was brief and if i may a little early in the season for a comprehensive view to life in Stockholm. The Swedes are slow starters and to some extent monocultural, but as we progress further into spring they/we awaken from our winter slumber and the joy of life is unmistakably abundant for all to see. The thousands of coffee bars and restaurants offer all ranges of cuisine catering for the imminent influx of tourists that start streaming in from the end of May onwards. Some attractions you might like to see the next time you are visiting Stockholm are Gamla Stan (old city) with its cobbled roads and numerous antique shops and fine dining. The Royal Palace which was built by architect Nicodemus Tessin in the style of Baroque and containing three museums, Gustav III´s museum of antiquities, Tre Kronor museum which explains the palaces medieval history and the treasury with the regalia which includes King Erik XIV´s crown jewels. Also you might like to visit Skansen which happens to be the oldest open-air museum in the world and is located in the grounds of Djurgården (roughly translated, Royal Animal Gardens). I could mention a few more possibilities but a must for all who visited Stockholm has to be a boat trip in the archipelagos consisting of no less than 30,000 islands, islets and skerries.

Your description of the Swedish numismatic museum being possibly the best you have ever seen only makes me more embarrassed, especially when confessing to not checking out their wonderful coin collections and hoards for myself. One of the reasons being that me and Lee S ( The Northerners, actually Lee is very proud of his Black country roots - anywhere north of the Watford gap goes the saying  ;D ) were saving this special occasion for our illustrious special guest, namely yourself. Now we don’t have any excuses, so i suspect a visit to the numismatic museum will soon be on the agenda.

Vasa is breathtaking, it is hard to visualize the sheer size of the ship until you are stood below it. For appearance maximum points for ingenuity then you described it perfectly well Andrew.
I do hope we get a chance to meet you in the not too distant future.

All the best
Martin

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
Is driving through other people's kitchens allowed in Scandinavia?
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity