Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can anyone identify what this coin is? Thanks for you help!  (Read 762 times)

mrgoofy1

Can anyone identify what this coin is? Thanks for you help!
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:59 am »
Hi. I was going through some coins passed down to me and came across this one. I have tried researching it but I really don't have a clue? ??? I am hoping it is familiar to someone. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
Re: Can anyone identify what this coin is? Thanks for you help!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:58 am »
I believe that this recent thread might be helpful to get you started...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=92011.0

(hint, look at F)

;D

mrgoofy1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:39 am »
Thank you for the reply. It appears to be very similar to "D" in the pictures.

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:58 am »
My understanding is that the F class follis has no back to Christ's throne on the obverse (D has a back), and a cross above and below the inscription on the reverse (D has a cross above and an ornament below).  The pic looks like an F class to me but since you have the coin in hand you can better id the variety than I.  There are examples of both types in the forum shop in the sold area which ought to help you tie it down for sure.

;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity