Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help with faustina  (Read 952 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
help with faustina
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:58:20 am »

i am putting up a coin of faustina in the hope that i can it identified
 please notice the split in the legend obverse with DIVAAVGVSTA on the left and then the FAVSTINA on the right
 i am not convinced she is holding a globe so any thought will be very welcome thankyou size 28mm weight 11.05gm

thankyou for your help i may have found a way to go with my collecting

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: help with faustina
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25:13 am »
I believe this is your coin here: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=51522

Regards,

-Kurt

rick2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:20 am »
the coin is an AS

the figure to me look more like JUNO and not providentia

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s4636.html#RIC_1155,As

here s one for comparison

the one i posted has a different obverse legend , so it s just a matter of browsing trough ric to find the exact match

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:08:56 am »
I believe this is your coin here: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=51522

Regards,

-Kurt

thankyou for your answer and the obverse legend is correct on this coin my query with this attribution is that provendentias hair seem to be long and not up in top knot as i havent done any studying of the reverses and ever checked each individual aspect i am sure you have more knowledge and maybe able to tell me if her hair is ever down thankyou for your time

rick i like juno as still not convinced there is a globe but on this coin the obverse legend is wrong i am still open to ideas and await the answer about her hairstyle on the first link

i do need to take notice of the different styles of the dress hairdos ect as getting the coin attributed correctly can make such a difference to the price  

look forward to any answers thankyou both for your contributions

weight and measurement is correct for the first link

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:47:44 am »
Helen and Rick. The reverse IMO is Aeternitas, the Roman Goddess  personification of eternity. Globe (phoenix) in right hand,torch in left.
Does fit with the DIVA in obverse.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:06:59 pm »

this is a description of RIC 1163 faustina is veiled but this one says the reverse is AETERNITAS so now i am confused any help to sort this mis information out will be appreciated thanks

Antoninus Pius, RIC 1163, for Faustina Maior, As of AD 141-161 (Aeternitas)

Æ As (11.10, Ø27mm, 6h). Rome mint. Struck AD 141-161.
 Obv.: DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA, veiled and draped bust of Faustina Maior facing right.
 Rev.: AETERNITAS (round) S C (in field), Aeternitas standing left holding globe and long sceptre.
 RIC 1163 (S); Cohen 38
 ex Gorny & Mosch auction

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 02:40:22 pm »
can anyone throw any light on my query please ok looking at wildwind coins on my computer going to faustina 1 there seems to be an error on 1163a as there are two with two separate descriptions one describes it as being a veiled bust and the other says nothing about veiled
 the next problem is that for each there are two examples shown which are the same and again one is veiled and one is not
when i have got this problem explained i can move on to my next queries thankyou for your time

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:31:09 am »

RIC 1163(a) is listed with both with (a) Bust r. and (b) Bust, vieled r.
References are to C38 and B.M. (a) is rated common and (b) is
rated scarce.

To complicate things there is also  RIC 1163(b) with shorter obverse
legend DIVA FAVSTINA.

Pekka K

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:03:36 am »

RIC 1163(a) is listed with both with (a) Bust r. and (b) Bust, vieled r.
References are to C38 and B.M. (a) is rated common and (b) is
rated scarce.

To complicate things there is also  RIC 1163(b) with shorter obverse
legend DIVA FAVSTINA.

Pekka K

WOW thankyou for that at last an explanation so you are saying that this can happen that coins with the same legends same reverse but with the obverse veiled and another NOT can be allocated the same RIC number that is VERY interesting and informative and to me unbelievable
 but if that is how it happens who am i to argue it just would seem it is a different coin and should be allocated its own number
 anyway NOW I am having difficulty seeing the figure on the reverse as providentia as her hair is down and she looks different
 SO the names that the board members have mentioned are PROVIDENTIA JUNO and AETERNITAS is anybody up with these figures enough to look and say who she  forgetting who she should be thanks for your time

the photo is good enough quality to increase a couple of times to get a good look thanks

i have GOT the coin and i am checking oooooh this is such a huge learning curve i just didnt realise there is so much to check for going to get my eyeglass out thankyou for any help

All coins are guaranteed for eternity