Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with J. Domna fouree reverse  (Read 395 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Help with J. Domna fouree reverse
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:09 pm »
AR Fouree Denarius 19 mm, 3.49 g
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA
Rev:  [?]  AVG  Someone standing slightly left holding cornucopia, S-C

I'm thinking perhaps Pietas, but I don't find any Domna reverses with the S just to the right of the figure before the AVG.  Do fourees typically match the originals?  Thanks much for any help.

Laney

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Help with J. Domna fouree reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
There is many fourees that dont match their original counterparts.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:06:03 pm »
Do you think the reverse is modeled after Pietas?  The letter before the AVG doesn't look much like an S, but the beginning of the legend could match.

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
Many plated counterfeits have reverses from different emperors than the obverse. If you can't find a Julia Domna reverse that fits, try looking at the reverses for Caracalla, Septimius Severus, or even outside of the family. Sometimes the obverse and reverse are many decades apart.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity