Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Karystos References Help?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Karystos References Help?
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »
Dear Board,

Please forgive me, but I am in research mode at the moment (actually, when am I not?).  I am thinking of purchasing ANS NNM #124:

Robinson, David M.  A Hoard of Silver Coins from Carystus. Numismatic Notes and Monographs No. 124. New York: The American Numismatic Society, 1952.

I gather that this reference can be dangerous in light of Kroh's comments on the modern forgeries that were salted into the hoard.  Does anyone know if this aspect has been adequately discussed in the literature?

I am also in need of the relevant pages on Karystos coinage from:

Numismatik Lanz. Münzen von Euboia: Sammlung BCD. Auction 111 (25 November 2002, München). 

The information is for a short article project on silver obols (bull's head/palm tree) from Karystos.  I don't suppose there are many other references to consult on this surprisingly under-researched topic?  I am already aware of the 1898 Numismatic Chronicle article that first documented the existence of this silver obol type.       

Thank you very much in advance for any help that can be provided!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Karystos References Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »
Mark,

PM sent.

Tom Mullally
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Karystos References Help?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:58 am »
Dear Board,

I wanted to inform you that two friends have helped me locate the information I need from Numismatik Lanz, Auktion 111.  I suppose only other researchers can completely understand how grateful I am for this kind of help

I would still be very interested to know if there has been any discussion on the modern forgeries that crept into the coin hoard documented by Robinson---also of any other useful publications on Karystos coinage.     

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity