Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Zoomorphic belt plate?

(1/2) > >>

mauseus:
Hi,

Just picked this up in a small lot for the sake of curiosity really. The size of the object is about 5 cm width and looks to have some animal heads engraved/carved into it. But what is it? If I were to guess it would be some kind of belt plate, Roman perhaps?

Could well be something much more recent such as an 18th century furniture handle mount. I don't have it in hand yet.

Anybody able to give me any pointers,

Regards,

Mauseus

SC:
Mauseus,

Interesting.  I have no real idea what it is.  5cm is quite large.  There were some belts of that width - late 4th to 5th century, but I have never seen any plates like this associated with them.

It will be interesting to see the thickness and what if anything is on the back when you get the item in hand.

Shawn

mauseus:
Hi,

Even after examining the item in hand I am no clearer. The back is flat.

Just listed the object in FORVM Auctions at a flat fee of $10 if anyone is interested in it.

Regards,

Mauseus

Barabus:
 It looks like a key hole plate . You can see half the key hole on the widest side.

mauseus:
Hi,

--- Quote from: mauseus on April 17, 2010, 08:22:43 am ---Could well be something much more recent such as an 18th century furniture handle mount. I don't have it in hand yet.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Barabus on April 22, 2010, 04:36:30 pm --- It looks like a key hole plate . You can see half the key hole on the widest side.

--- End quote ---

You may well be right if you rotate it; from my first post I had an inkling it may be a handle plate with hand finished detailing.

Regards,

Mauseus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version