Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A really good ancient fake MAL ?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
A really good ancient fake MAL ?
« on: March 23, 2023, 10:49:28 pm »

I’m not usually into fourees but MALs are my favorite issue, so I bought this one to learn from. To my eyes this was a really good ancient fake. Before the pitting and resulting flaking gave it away (if it ever did), it appears this coin circulated for many years in antiquity. The plating is very thick and shows substantial surface wear. It even withstood the banker’s mark on the reverse in the wings, unless the counterfeiter cleverly applied it before the plating. There is a little softness in the devices and legends on the obverse, but the style looks really good to me. Just thought I’d share.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: A really good ancient fake MAL ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 05:20:07 pm »
The counterfeiters during the Roman Republic made some quite good counterfeits. Many were struck using dies created with impressions of genuine coins. Whatever method they used to impress the dies seems to have destroyed the coins because many have mismatched obverses and reverses. Of course destroying the coins was not a big deal big deal because they used the silver to make the plating foils. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity