Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arrowhead or a tool?  (Read 792 times)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Arrowhead or a tool?
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:06:43 pm »
Has anyone an idea what this is.  Obviously, there was a place for a shaft, probably wood as there is no iron remnant.  It is about 8mm long, and I have seen two of them, the other somewhat bent, as if it were an arrowhead that hit something hard.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: rrowhead or a tool?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 03:52:19 pm »
Ave!

Perhaps a Stylus Nib?

If so, the nib was attached to a simple wooden handle that could easily be replaced after long use.

I have taken the liberty to re-create the shaft as general representation as how it would appeared in the Roman era, 1900 years ago.

Ref/ BBC Television; Time Team. Who knew!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 04:47:02 pm »
Interesting idea!  It does seem a bit heavy and dull for that use, but maybe!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re:Arrowhead or a tool?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 09:38:11 am »
I am pretty sure Mayadigger is right and the size  of yours is about the same as some of those found at Vindolanda.

As for a weapon, well Tiberius is reputed to have used his stylus to stab flies....  ;D

Alex

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 01:25:51 pm »
One thing to note is that a stylus is not necessarily the same as a pen. For use with ink on papyrus, this item looks like it would not work well as it would have to be continually dipped. But for use on wax tablets or clay it might work well. Reeds were certainly used with ink, as well as other writing devices. I am not sure when quills became popular, but some sources say the ancients used them. Here is an interesting article from 1890 I found: https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1525/aa.1890.3.4.02a00040

This is certainly an interesting item.

Virgil

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
Re: Arrowhead or a tool?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 08:06:12 pm »
Interesting piece. Could it possibly have been used as a tool to punch holes in leather?
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 03:59:13 pm »
Ave!

Interesting piece. Could it possibly have been used as a tool to punch holes in leather?

No, leather working tools were all very slim and extremely pointed. See Below.

Here is another work-a-day stylus that was pierced to hold a string, that may have been tied to the wax plate, so it would not have been lost?

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 05:50:19 pm »
You are right.  I have a stone point similarly shaped at the end which I've been told was used as an auger, but the Romans were a bit beyond using stone.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity