Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Who were that people?  (Read 306 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Who were that people?
« on: January 22, 2022, 03:30:22 pm »
Roman coins with Tyche on the revers, struck at Laodicea at Mare show often the legend "ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ  ΤΩΝ  ΚΑΙ  ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ" (Youlieòn tòn kai Laodikeòn).
So: Tyche of the Youliéans and the Laodikeans.

Who the Laodikeans were, is clear, but who were meant by those "Youliéans"?
A question I can not solve for a long time.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Who were that people?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 03:40:32 pm »
The British Museum writes:

Inscription transliteration: IOULIEON TON KAI LAODIKEON
Inscription translation: of (the people of) Ioulia and Laodicea ad Mare
Inscription note: the epithet 'Ioulia' is thought to be connected to the visit of Julius Caesar to Syria in 47BC when he bestowed honours on the principal cities

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_RPK-p171B-1-LaoLib

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 05:25:46 pm »
Thanks a lot Shanxi, to find me that explanation.
The people of the British Museum must certainly know what they write.
I thought of the Roman Ioulian clan as a possibility.
IOULIEON is plural, so must count for the all clan (Caesar until Nero).
But finding this legend on coins of Traian and Antoninus Pius, who were no Ioulians, no Flavians but are counted under Adoptif Emperors and Antonine dynasty, I doubted that they would have such a legend on their coins.
So, the British Museum says: yes, they do!
Thanks again!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 03:47:47 am »
In Wolfgang Leschhorn, Peter Robert Franke, "Lexikon der Aufschriften auf griechischen Münzen Band I", Vienna 2002, ΙΟΥΛΙΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ is translated with "(city) of the Julians also called Laodiceians".

Otto Mørkholm writes in "Autonomous Tetradrachms of Laodicea", ANSMN 28 (New York, 1983) on page 92:
"The third inscription refers to an important event in the history of the city, its refoundation by Caesar in 47 under the new name of Julia-Laodicea. This great honor was to a certain degree neutralized by the fact that from this time all reference to the city's autonomy disappears from its coinage."
(https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000108391214&view=1up&seq=102&skin=2021)

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:03:11 am »
"Julia-Laodicea", that is interesting. Caesar, so that should be 47 "BC".
Thank you very much Altamura!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity