Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bookplates  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Bookplates
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2023, 05:28:06 pm »
One more since that last one above didn't technically have a bookplate (Handy Guide to Jewish Coins inscribed by Rogers).

A collage of my favorite numismatic bookplates (and a few owner stamps).
The Pierre Bastien and Frank Sherman Benson are newest:

“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2023, 02:37:35 pm »
Nice.  I especially love Göbl's tower....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2023, 10:36:38 pm »
Bookplate of the Bruce R. Brace (1932-2007) library (I'd bet I'm not the only person here who has this one!) on The Confederate Coinage of the Arcadians of the Fifth Century B.C. by Roderick Williams (1965).  (Available free online: [LINK] OR [LINK].)

I usually don't buy the little ANS volumes unless I have a coin published inside, or it's inscribed by the author or has a notable bookplate. In this case, both apply. My coin isn't illustrated, but it's cited: Williams 84 (O59/R52), example c, "Salton-Schlessinger (in trade)," from the Mark Salton Collection.

I just received both the coin and book. Happily the coin came with Salton's envelope (despite being slabbed), which confirmed my suspicion that the coin was Williams 84c. (Unfortunately my other lot from the recent Salton Coll. sale came with the wrong collector tag, belonging to a different lot from the Salton collection!)

As Svetolik Kovačević noted (from whom I bought this book), “Bruce Brace was a scholar and by many considered to be a dean of Roman Numismatics in Canada." He collected Roman coins from 1954 until his death (sold over several auctions by CNG, 2012-3). He founded and/or was active in multiple numismatic groups associations, and authored many articles, and regularly presented papers on Roman Republican coins. He was Honorary Curator of the Numismatic Collection at McMaster Museum of Art, 1991-2007. Obituary in Canadian Numismatic Association E-Bulletin Vol. 3, No. 25 (24 April 2007): https://rcna.ca/ebulletin/EBulletinVol3No25April24_2007.pdf

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
Re: Bookplates & Inscribed
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2023, 05:20:24 pm »
I was going to start a new thread for inscribed books, but it looks like we've been merging them since early on... I don't have a Malter bookplate (wish I did), but a mini-collection of literature inscribed by Joel L. Malter (1931-2006) to 3 recognizable recipients. Plus one MBS/FPL that was addressed/postmarked to Malter.

1. Joel Malter Auction 1 (9-11 Nov 1973), held in conjunction with the Society for International Numismatics meeting in Los Angeles. Hardcover (as bound).
To Arthur John Seltman, dated 12 Nov 1973 (still at SIN convention), wishing him luck on his new coin dealing venture. A.J. Seltman was the son of great numismatist Charles Seltman, himself son of numismatist Ernest John Seltman, and in 1973 had just begun publishing his own ancient coin fixed price catalogs.
Ex ANS Library Duplicates.

[Photo Attachment #1]

2. Malter's (1968) Byzantine Numismatic Bibliography, 1950-1965.
To Frank Mosher, owner of Oriental Bookstore, dated 8 March 1987. “Oriental Bookstore” in Pasadena was renowned for having one of the best collections of E. Asian books in the U.S.
Gift from my father, CSJ.

[Photo Attachment #2 (left)]

3. Malter's (1995) Byzantine Numismatic Bibliography, 1966-1994. Yes, there really were 27 years between volumes 1 and 2!!
To Stuart L. Malter (1942-2021, Charlotte NC), Joel's cousin & collector of antique scales. I also bought a copy of Malter Auction 49 (J.S. Wilkinson) ex Stuart Malter Library.
N. Carolina bookseller Jim Crotts acquired Stuart's library of numis., scales & weights, many still available on his website or eBay (crottsy).

[Photo Attachment #2 (right)]

Last one, not inscribed by, but "addressed to." (I love that booklet-size coin catalogs/periodicals often still have decades-old address labels.)
4. Colosseum Coin Exchange MBS 59 (22 Nov 1991), Acquired as a Duplicate from the BCD Library,
Ex Library of Joel Malter, postmarked and addressed to Malter Galleries, Encino, CA. (I didn't really need to redact the address in the photo below, but, oh well...)
POSSIBLY (?) ex Malter Numismatic Library Sale (Malter Auction 88), 4-5 June 2006, in one of the many boxes of FPLs & MBS.

Joel Malter’s numismatic library was one of his great lifelong achievements, and its sale (held at his private residence!) generated tremendous excitement and record prices. He died the following day. See e-Sylum (Numismatic Bibliomania Society) article: https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v13n25a03.html.

[Rather than overload the system with too many attachments, linking this one inline since I already have it on my Catalog Collection site [LINK]]

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2023, 03:30:58 pm »
Just received this in the mail from Tallinn, Estonia (Bookseller Valeri Rätsep): Numismatiker Exlibris, by Walter Grasser (1939-2019), published 1979.

A specialized but fun reference on “numismatic bookplates.” (See Ursula Kampmann’s 2020 CoinsWeekly article, “Numismatic Bookplates – a Wonderful Field of Collection[LINK].)
Here’s a description Kolbe & Fanning have used a couple times:
8vo. 52 pages; descriptions of 233 items, including biographical details; text illustrations accompanied by 12 bookplates printed in colors tipped in. Only 400 issued. A charming publication featuring descriptions and illustrations of artistic nineteenth- and early twentieth-century numismatic bookplates, a number of them commissioned by both famous and little-known classical numismatists of the era. Present as well are well-designed contemporary examples, among them an erotic numismatic ex libris.

See also Grasser's entry in the Proceedings of the 1997 International Numismatic Congress, commenting on the history of bookplates and new ones he'd learned of since the 1979 book:
Walter Grasser. 2000. “Alte und Neue Numismatische Exlibris.” pp. 89-91.
https://archive.org/details/proceedingsof12t00inte/page/89/mode/1up

I hoped to find bookplates from my collection referenced, but none so far. (A few are cited in his INC chapter or Kampmann’s article.) I think there's definitely room for someone to do an update or addendum with additional information readily available now, such as this post, a few online institutional collections, and maybe a visit to a few private numismatic libraries/booksellers. (The book was written with zero help from the internet or even email for corresponding with international colleagues, so I find Grasser's work impressive given the circumstances.)

The green signature is Herbert S. Ott (1915-1987), one of the featured bookplate artists. Ex-library of Endel Vingissar (1928-), an Estonian collector who has written about bookplates. (I can’t work out the blue inscription/signature following his name inside the front... I suspect it's also signed by Ott -- he had some weird "nonlinear" signatures, but I can't tell what the second word/name is.)

Expandable images (click):

The back pages include about a dozen samples of actual numismatic bookplates:

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2023, 08:42:16 pm »
Very interesting. Seems like you might have a book you could put together from all you have posted, so many interesting examinations of things like provenance and catalogs and bookplates.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2023, 06:48:02 pm »
Just got this from Forum, the American Journal of Numismatics Number 1, 1989, and the cool thing is it is ex-Georges Le Rider library. He is an author I have used before, even though I am not very good in French, but his work on Macedon is great. I am happy to have this. The image is his bookplate. It is a nice one, simple and very French. It is hard to tell, but the woman is holding a magnifying glass looking at a coin.

Edit: I see this one has been posted a couple of times already.

Virgil

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2023, 07:33:54 pm »
That's a really cool one, Virgil! I wish I'd grabbed it! I've seen a few article offprints that were signed/inscribed by LeRider and have been watching for one in an area of interest to me. Reading about ancient coins is about the only time I use French or Spanish anymore (and the only reason I'm trying to learn some German).

I assume it came from the 2005 Spink sale, "A large selection of Numismatic Books from the library of Georges Le Rider." Along with other catalogs, Forum has copies for practically the cost of shipping right now [LINK] (elsewhere it's like $15). (Unlike sale catalogs of coins, I usually only buy library catalogs if I think I have something from that sale, so I haven't ordered a copy yet. Hopefully I'll find reason to in time!)

Shows the bookplate on the cover:

P.s. mauseus should've posted the RIC V with J.S. Vogelaar's bookplate here! (Cool photos & bookplate: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61048.0 )

All coins are guaranteed for eternity