Resources > The Members' Gallery

The Overdue Update to My Gallery Thread

(1/3) > >>

TenthGen:
Hi everyone,

I am finally creating a thread for my gallery after having technically had one for a couple years! I often find it hard to make time for uploading images, but now that all of my Forum purchases are uploaded and about three-quarters of my other major coins are there, too, it's time to at least have the thread going!

I have a few areas of focus for my collecting:

:drop2: The First, and definitely the one I blabber about the most, are Legionary denarii. I collect Antony and Septimius Severus especially, but I intend to expand into Gallienus' legionary antoninianii, Carausius' legionary coinage, provincial legionary coinage, and the non-silver Antony and Severus examples where practical. Essentially, if the coin says "LEG ___ " or refers to a Cohort or Vexillation by name or number, I am interested.

:drop2: Secondly, I enjoy Roman Republican coinage. The symbolism and iconography available is really just amazing. Roman history is what got me interested in ancient coinage. I read Roman histories (including many translated primary texts), and the Roman Republic is a fascinating time. The coinage they produced is so informative of what they experienced and is often beautifully demonstrative of the period.

:drop2: Thirdly, I still like to pick up uncleaned lots from time to time to dig around in for fun. I've actually found some half-way decent coins this way, but it's really more for entertainment than collecting, per se.

I believe I'll start by highlighting a coin from each of these three areas of my gallery (Full-Gallery Here)

:drop2: First we have a Marc Antony legionary denarius featuring Legio XI: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-159830
While not an especially rare example (my Legio IIII and XVIII Lybicae are more along those lines), I think it is a good example of what one can expect to stumble across in stores and online in this type.

:drop2: Next, we have a Roman Republic denarius of M. Sergius Silus: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129973
Marcus Sergius Silus is a fascinating historical character and his descendent of the same name minted coins in his honor. A soldier in the Second Punic War, he escaped captivity and is one of the first known people to use a hand prosthesis. Here is he depicted riding on horseback carrying the head of a Gallic soldier. Like I said, quite the historical character. Note that this coin is also a Forvm purchase!

:drop2: Finally, I wanted to share the first surprise silver coin I found in an uncleaned lot, a denarius of Septimius Severus: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130458
Silver from uncleaned lots is really rare, but it isn't as if this coin has any exceptional value or quality. However, it was a fun to brush away some mud after a long soak and see silver below. My gallery has many other examples of the more typical late Roman bronze finds from uncleaned lots.

I hope you will enjoy my gallery or find it useful in some way. I'll update it periodically and happily answer any questions if they come up!

Thanks!

okidoki:
very nice

Anaximander:
Huzzah!  It’s Show and Tell.   +++
I admire your focus. I think you nailed it:  The ‘storylines’ for the Republican and Imperatorial coins are ever so rewarding.

orfew:
Nice work!

Jay GT4:
Oh yeah!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version