Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anaximander's Gallery  (Read 20411 times)

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Anaximander's Gallery
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2020, 07:07:07 am »
Thanks, Nemonator, and thanks again, Joe/Quadrans. 

What you're seeing took quite a few years to coalesce. Living in different cities and different circumstances, a lot of my collecting came via individual dealers, before the internet started to drive sales.  I also remember coin stores and mail bid sales; it was a simpler time.  I'm still buying, of course, though I've been building my references as much as the coins themselves.

It's been nice to find a host like Forum, where I get the online tools and the motivation to share.  Now that I have a few references handy, I can research the coins in a systematic manner, then photograph and upload in like fashion. 

Stay tuned: My most recent and upcoming batch uploads include some less astounding material: Roman coins from the third century AD, with debased currency and short-lived emperors. Faded glory, for the most part.  Then the fourth century starts back up with some nice coinage, though few issues in silver.

Cheers~

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2020, 08:00:10 am »
Thank you Chris,

We are waiting to the next step... ;) :) +++

Regards

Joe /Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Roman 3rd C. Emperors
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »
...and here you have it: the virtual tray for my Roman gallery on the 3rd century, Military Anarchy and Revival, 235-285 AD. (Click the photo for a slightly larger version).

So many Emperors and usurpers. So numerous, in fact, that I only provide the obverse for each coin in my virtual tray. This gallery and its virtual tray don't include the Gallic Empire (that gets separate billing).  

:branchleft: Emperors :branchright:
Maximinus I, Gordian I, Gordian II, Balbinus, Pupienus, Gordian III, Philip I, Philip II,
Trajan Decius, Herennius Etruscus, Hostilian, Trebonianus Gallus, Volusian, Aemilian, Valerian I, Gallienus,
Macrianus, Quietus, Claudius Gothicus, Quintillus, Aurelian, Vabalathus, Tacitus, Florian,
Probus, Carus, Numerian, Carinus.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2020, 12:40:17 am »
Wow, nice.  :)

Great, tray...  +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2020, 07:46:44 am »
And on we go. Here's my new Roman gallery of The Tetrarchy & Constantine Dynasty, 284-364 AD with its virtual tray to match.  As always, it's a bit of a grab-bag, with couple of gaps, and a couple of weak examples, alongside a couple of stunners and rarities.
:branchleft2: Emperors :branchright2:
Diocletian, Maximian, Carausius, Allectus, Domitius Domitianus, Constantius I, Galerius,
Severus II, Maximinus II, Maxentius, Licinius I, Valens, [Martinian], Constantine I the Great, Constantine II,
Constans, Constantius II, [Nepotian], Vetranio, Magnentius, Julian, and Jovian.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
The final installment of my Roman collection:  The Houses of Valentinian and Theodosius, and the Fall of the Western Empire.  It gathers together all of my coinage of the Roman Empire from about 365 AD to its fall around 476.

With those uploads now made to the gallery, it remains only for this, my 'virtual tray,' shown below.  As you can see, my task ahead is to complete as much as I can of the [gaps] in the collection.

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: Emperors and Usurpers  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>:
Valentinian I, Valens, Procopius, Gratian, Valentinian II, Theodosius I, Magnus Maximus, Flavius Victor,
Eugenius, Arcadius, Honorius, Theodosius II, Constantine III, [Constans II], [Priscus Attalus], [Maximus of Barcelona],
Jovinus, Johannes, Valentinian III, Marcian, [Avitus], [Majorian], Leo I, Libius Severus,
[Anthemius], [Olybrius], [Glycerius], [Julian Nepos], [Leo II], Zeno, [Basiliscus], [Romulus Augustus].

It has been quite a voyage, rummaging through the arc of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. I've tangled with the Republican and Imperatorial eras, and have seen the locus of power move east, to Constantinople.  Meanwhile, the Roman Empire in the west, with its puppet emperors, usurpers, and invasions, enters the Dark Ages.  

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2020, 05:35:56 pm »
Anaximander,

What a great collecting theme and an interesting and eye catching way to display it. Bravo!

Tracy

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2020, 09:50:36 am »
I agree, 👍

Great group again 😉

Congratulation  🤝

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
This just in: Philip II Æ Pentassarion of Marcianopolis
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2020, 02:24:57 pm »
I greatly admire the Roman Pentassarion issues of Marcianopolis. Here's my latest acquisition:    

Philip II as Caesar. 244-247 AD. Æ Pentassarion (27mm, 12.98 g, 1h) of Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior. Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II r. facing draped bust of Serapis l., wearing calathus. / Concordia standing facing, head l., holding cornucopiae and pouring patera over lighted altar to l.; E (mark of value) to l. gVF CNG EA 480 #363. From the TAB Collection, purchased from Pars Coins.  H&J, Marcianopolis 6.44.36.1-2; AMNG I 1213; Varbanov 2096.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-166592

Coming soon: my Seleukid gallery, newly photographed and cataloged.  I've captured more references using the ANS Mantis and SCO databases, finding a slew of examples in the French BnF Gallica collections (Delepierre, de Luynes, de Clercq), and in early auction catalogs (Naville, Hirsch). Several early catalogs exceed my reach (Bruder Egger, Rollin et Feuardent), but it was an interesting effort.  

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2020, 03:37:24 pm »
Nice "Pentassarion issues of Marcianopolis".. ;) +++

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Gallery of Seleukid Coins, Family Tree, and Virtual Tray.
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2020, 07:55:39 am »
This just in: my gallery of Seleukid coins is now posted on Forum Ancient Coins. Have a look: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7401.  I've added a couple of non-dynastic, municipal coins to the mix.

Here's a family tree of the Seleukid Dynasty.  It's modified to serve as a virtual tray. 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2020, 09:37:56 am »
Very cool!

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2020, 10:51:23 am »
That’s awesome!  Great coins and amazing virtual tray!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
Nice work, Chris  +++

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2020, 08:54:59 am »
Anaximander,

I concur with the others. I really like the virtual tray set-up. Great stuff.

Tracy

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:01 pm »
Gallery update...  One new acquisition was just posted to my Macedon gallery, Antigonos I Monothalmos as Strategos of Asia in the name and style of Alexander III the Great.  Odd thing is, it's not from Macedon, but from Carrhae or Tarsos. But it fits into the whole Macedonian king series, so in it goes.  

Two other acquisitions from 2020 are pending upload: a tetartemorion from Teos (0.25 gm) and an obol from Kyzikos (0.65 gm). They're so small, the photos I've taken just don't do justice. More effort is required.  :-\  UPDATE:  Teos and Kyzikos are now up. My best efforts at macrophotography (such as they are) :laugh:

Meanwhile, I've recataloged my Greek Italy coins (another go at references for 29 coins, ex-Sicily) and am starting in on Greece itself (59 coins). I'm not updating the photos in the galleries; Forvm galleries don't support photo changes per se, so I'll only replace coin gallery entries if there's a glaring need...

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2021, 05:03:53 am »
Hi Chris,

So many nice addition 👍👍

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2021, 04:37:05 pm »
I just updated the tags for my Greek coin flips (Thessaly to the Peloponnesos), nearly 60 coins in all.
I wanted to re-photograph the coins using my new lighting scheme, and I wanted pictures of their dealer tags. Getting digital images of the tags is a new thing for me (credit to Meepzorp for blazing that trail), though I will not be uploading coin tags to my Forum gallery.  I am keeping the tags, and coin thumbails (also new), in my coin database.

Having read Tracey Aiello’s Gallery thread (here), I admire his spunk in only citing references that he can verify.  It’s a tall order, and something I aspire to, but cannot claim to achieve. I have spent the last several years learning a lot about, and agressively accumulating, numismatic references.  Most of those are the online resources to which my eyes have been opened by the Forum, which I joined two years ago. I found references aplenty in the discussion boards, in the Numiswiki, and in the Library of Ancient Coinage. The reference I have cited are listed below.

I guess my point is that I end up consulting as many resources as I have coins in my collection.

Publications consulted (books and PDFs)
ANS Davis, Rosen, Dewing Collections.
ANSMN 33 Selinus Hoard
Babelon Traité.
BCD Boiotia (Triton IX-X, & CNG 72-73, 75)
BCD Olympia (Leu Numismatics, Auction 90).
BCD Thessaly I (nomos 4) & BCD Thessaly II (Triton XV)
BMC Thessaly, Central Greece, Peloponnesus, Attica, Corinth.
Benner Achaean League
Calciati Pegasi
Clerk Achaean League
Dengate Megalopolis
Gulbenkian Collection
Head Boeotia
Herrmann Larissa
Hoover’s Handbook of Greek Coins, vols. 4-5.
Humphris & Delbridge Opountian Lokrians
Kroll Athenian Agora
Macdonald Hunterian Coll., Glasgow.
McClean II
Milbank Aegina
Picard Chalcis
Pozzi (Boutin)
Ravel Poulins
Rogers Thessaly
Seltman Olympia
SNG Berry
SNG Cop 3
SNG Delepierre
Svoronos Monnaies
Thompson Agrinion
Wallace Euboian League
Weber Collection
Williams Confederate, Phokians

Publications referenced, but not consulted (not available to me)
BCD Akarnania and Aitolia
BCD Euboia
BCD Lokris-Phokis
BCD Peloponnesos
Flament Athènes
Hepworth Boiotian Confederacy
Lavva Pharsalos
Lorber Hoard, Thessalian.
Meadows Aegina
Moustaka Thessalischen Münzen
Papaevangelou-Genakos
Price-Waggoner Asyut Hoard
SNG Munich
Warren Sikyon Silver
Winterthur (Griechische Münzen)

Websites consulted
acsearch.info
cngcoins.com
BnF: gallica.bnf.fr and catalogue.bnf.fr
ANS: MANTIS http://numismatics.org
FAC: www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki
HathiTrust (for ANS publications)
Boston MFA collection mfa.org
nomosag.com (for auction catalogs)
PERSEUS www.perseus.tufts.edu
snible.org (for BMC and his version of plates)
SNG (on http://www.sylloge-nummorum-graecorum.org for SNG Fitzwilliam, Lockett, and Spencer-Churchill)
Wildwinds www.wildwinds.com
ZfN for publications.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2021, 05:11:06 pm »
Having read Tracey Aiello’s Gallery thread (here), I admire his spunk in only citing references that he can verify.

I agree with Tracy Aiello for several reasons:  first, dealers and other collectors make mistakes, so it's never wise to rely on a dealer's or collector's tag without verification; second, online databases that might cite to numismatic works are also not immune from typos and other errors. If you want to cite to a book you don't own - borrow a copy, find an online copy, or ask a friend or Forum member to confirm the cite (preferably with a photo of the book entry). Alternatively, just cite the books you have and add more cites as books are added to your library.  There's no shame in not having every major reference at your fingertips, particularly in Greek coins where there might be multiple major references for each city-state.  

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:50 pm »
BCD Akarnania is on acsearch—it was an M&M sale about a dozen or so years ago. 

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2021, 07:46:14 am »
BCD Akarnania is on acsearch—it was an M&M sale about a dozen or so years ago.  

Thanks for pointing that out, Molinari.  For someone who uses acsearch.info regularly, I was surprised that they have a library of numismatics. with lots of PDFs.  

I wasn't able to locate BCD Akarnania right away, though.  I kept plugging away and found their page on auctions. (duh!) Filtering for M&M Gmbh, I found the link for Auction 23. I just need to get used to the idea of it being html-based and not a PDF.  

Quote from: Carausius on February 18, 2021, 05:11:06 pm
I agree with Tracy Aiello for several reasons:  first, dealers and other collectors make mistakes, so it's never wise to rely on a dealer's or collector's tag without verification; second, online databases that might cite to numismatic works are also not immune from typos and other errors. If you want to cite to a book you don't own - borrow a copy, find an online copy, or ask a friend or Forum member to confirm the cite (preferably with a photo of the book entry). Alternatively, just cite the books you have and add more cites as books are added to your library.  There's no shame in not having every major reference at your fingertips, particularly in Greek coins where there might be multiple major references for each city-state.  

I take your point, Carausius.  In the course of my plunge back into references, I was surprised at the number of dealer errors I uncovered.  This echoes what I gathered from Meepzorp's recent site edits.  With the availability now of many resources, from very old to the very new, I've validated many, many references, and expanded them substantially.  I credit the people and pages of this Forum for helping me to find those resources, and sharing their wisdom.  

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2021, 02:38:50 pm »
While I haven't been posting to this topic recently, I've been perusing the Forvm and going through my collection on a near-daily basis.

I've finished photographing of all the dealer tags for my ancient coins. I picked up a new LED light (a Godox S30, 30 watts) to serve as the main light source for coin photos, and that's taken some getting used to.  A Godox softbox (SA-30) for the light, delayed in the mail, eventually helped turn the corner.  I've downsampled from 300 dpi to 200 (and as low as 72 dpi) for thumbnails and tags; that makes for smaller files.

I've been collecting Bactrian coinage for some time now.  Here are two new additions:
Baktria. Diomedes Soter. Dioskouroi Tetradrachm.
Baktria, Heliokles II Radiate Zeus-Mithra Tetradrachm.
I have a tetradrachm of Heliokles I that I picked up 20 years ago, and now one of Heliokles II. Guess I'm a creature of habit...

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Four coins for four different galleries
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2021, 04:37:01 pm »
I attended the Annual Upstate South Carolina Coin show and picked up four coins.  It was my first time at this show, hosted by the Greenville & Parker Coin Clubs. The show was postponed from its February date, and it was hot in Spartanburg. For what it's worth, business appeared brisk. 

1. Asia Minor. Cilicia, 379-374 BC. AR Obol (0.68 gm)  Veiled head of a female, facing, wearing necklace. / Bearded head of Herakles left, wearing lion-skin headdress, tied at neck.  Possibly a satrapal issue of Pharnabazos, and an uncertain mint (Nagidos?)

2. Greece. Crete c. 330-270 BC. AR stater of Gortyna. Europa seated facing in tree, raising her veil and hand on the back of eagle with its wings spread. / Bull stdg right, head reverted. VF. Ex-Thomas Bentley Cederlind.

3. Roman Empire. Orbiana, w. Severus Alexander. 225-227 AD. AR Denarius of Rome, 225 AD. Special marriage issue. Concordia seated. RIC IV.2 #319. A duplicate of one already in my collection, but this one pleases me.

4. Kings of Macedon. Philip IIPosthumous (temp Kassander) AR Tetradrachm of Amphipolis. Laureate head of Zeus, r. / Youth on horseback r., holding palm.  Probably struck for Lysimachos by Kassander.

Nice to finally go to a coin show again! 

I've managed to launch my medieval coin galleries here in FAC, with Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Gallic galleries posted.  I'll post the Crusader coins next, now that I've photographed them anew.  More on that front to come in future months. 

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2021, 06:15:06 pm »
Congrats on some great coins.  I really like the stater from Gortyna

I am hoping to go to my first coin show in Calgary later this month.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2021, 11:37:08 pm »
Nice coins. I live in SC and had no idea there were any coin shows with ancients anywhere in the state. That said, I am not sure I would know what I was doing at a coin show, but would be fun to go to one. That  Gortyna coins has some serious imagery.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity