Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: first century Roman emperors and coins with Pontifex Maximus (PONT MAXIM)  (Read 4113 times)

Nicholas P2

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping to get some help on a question, especially from anyone who is familiar with first century CE imperial coins.

I am aware that the Roman Emperor Tiberius struck a coin in 15 C.E> in which he is described as PONTIF MAXIM (Pontifex Maximus). Did the next four emperors (Caligula, Claudius, Nero, and Galba) also manage to strike coins with the same title? After Augustus it was standard practice for the Emperor to also serve as Pontifex Maximus. Was it also standard practice to put this on imperial coins, as Tiberius had done?

Any help on this much appreciated!

Nick Perrin

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Nicholas P2

Thanks, Pekka. Good info here. But I still need some expert help on whether Pontifex Maximus became a standard feature of imperial coins after Tiberius in the first century. Would you know?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pontifex Maximus (Latin literally meaning "greatest bridge-maker") was the high priest of the College of Pontiffs and the most important position in the ancient Roman religion. The emperors of Rome held the title Pontifex Maximus until 17 December 384 when Gratian relinquished the title to Pope Siricius.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Hi Nicholas,

Looking through the BMCRE volumes (which cover Augustus to Pupienus), there appears to be some reference to "Pontifex Maximus" for most of the Roman Emperors covered, but not all of them.

To answer your question, I can see it for Claudius, Vitellius and Nero, but not for Galba, or Caligula (other than a "PON" in the legend of a quadrans at BMCRE 79). Later, I definitely cannot see it for Gordian II, or Pupienus amongst others.

Assuming I am correct above and have not missed something, the reasons why is probably best left to someone like Curtis Clay to answer.

For now, here is an example of a Vitellius denarius which I acquired a few days ago. According to Mattingly, Vitellius was elected Pontifex Maximus on 18 July in 69 AD,  3 months after being recognised as Roman Emperor on 19 April. The Pontifex Maximus is closely associated with the worship of Vesta.

Vitellius, Rome mint, 69AD, A VITELLIVS GE[RM IMP] AVG TR P, head of Vitellius, laureate, right / [PO]NT MAXIM, Vesta, veiled, draped, seated right on throne, holding patera in right hand and sceptre in left ,18.27mm, 3.2g, 6h, BMCRE I 34-37; RIC I 107; RSC 72; SRCV I 2200

Peter

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: first century Roman emperors and coins with Pontifex Maximus (PONT MAXIM)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:42 pm »
Who was the last emperor to use the title on his coinage?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »
Hi Robert,

I do not know for certain.

However, searching "PONT MAX", "PONT", "PON M" or "PON" on Online Coins of the Roman Empire (OCRE), brings up the following Emperors in the filter for refining search by issuing authority:

Antoninus Pius
Augustus
Caracalla
Claudius
Constantine I
Domitian
Elagabalus
Caligula
Galba
Geta
Hadrian
Macrinus
Nero
Nerva
Otho
Pertinax
Septimius Severus
Severus Alexander
Tiberius
Trajan
Vespasian
Vitellius

Therefore, at least according to the search above, it looks like it is Constantine I (RIC VI 795).

Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:11:48 pm »
Further emperors who were called P M on their coins: Didius Julianus, Maximinus Thrax, Balbinus and Pupienus, Gordian I and II, Gordian III, Philip I and II, Trebonianus Gallus and Volusian, Valerian I and Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I, Claudius II, Aurelian, Probus, Carinus, Diocletian and Maximian, perhaps a few others.

To be removed from the list, because never called P M on his official coins: Geta.

Was Pertinax P M? The title never appears on his official coins. Kienast asserts that Pertinax was P M, so maybe that title appears in some reliable inscriptions, or maybe Kienast was just misled by several reported but actually false or altered coins.

The latest emperors called P M on their coins in RIC VI (294-313 AD):

Siscia 150, Maximinus II as Caesar, aureus attributed to 305-6, rev. P M TR P P P PROCOS, Togate emperor standing left holding globe and baton, unique in Trau Sale, lot 3735.

Trier 795, already cited above by Peter, Constantine I as Augustus, half solidus attributed to c. 309, rev. PONT MAX TRIB P P P PROCOS, Togate emperor seated left on curule chair, unique in BM.

In RIC VII, however, there are a couple of coins that call Constantine P M in 320 (COS VI), Trier 242 and 244-5.

Curtis Clay

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:27:11 pm »
It sounds as though it remained in use as long as the empire was officially pagan, then, and dropped out of use around the time Constantine began balancing paganism with Christianity.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 02:33:33 am »
Hi Robert,

I love your logic!

The wikipedia entry (cannot believe I did not read it earlier) says the following, which supports your theory that it dropped out as Christianity was being adopted:

Even the early Christian Emperors continued to use it; it was only relinquished by Gratian, possibly in AD 376 at the time of his visit to Rome,[26] or more probably in 383 when a delegation of pagan senators implored him to restore the Altar of Victory in the Senate House. A more recent article suggests that the title may have kept by Gratian and even accepted by Theodosius and Valentian.

It cites the following journal article on this point: Cameron, Alan. "The Imperial Pontifex". Harvard Studies in Classical Philology 103 (2007): 341–384 https://www.jstor.org/stable/30032227

To the OP (Nick): you might be interested in reading this article!

Peter

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:23 am »
Was Pertinax P M? The title never appears on his official coins. Kienast asserts that Pertinax was P M, so maybe that title appears in some reliable inscriptions, or maybe Kienast was just misled by several reported but actually false or altered coins.

Hi Curtis,

There are a few variants referenced in BMCRE V with "P M" or "PON Max" for Pertinax from the Rome mint.
For example, p. 8, 40 (footnote).
Also pp. 9-10, the footnotes relating to the two asterixed entries following 46 reference Cohen 24 and Cohen 36  as having "PM" and "PON MAX", respectively, in variants of the legend.
Are these examples the potentially false or altered ones referenced above?
On acsearch, I found the following example (assuming it was correctly attributed to Pertinax): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=190397

Peter

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:43 am »
Yes, unless they can be confirmed by actual specimens, those are the sorts of reported P M coins of Pertinax that I regard as false or altered or (the most likely hypothesis) simply misdescribed.

Your acsearch link seems incorrect, it just takes me to an ordinary denarius of Sept. Severus.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity