Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Repaired Claudius Sestertius Spes  (Read 1199 times)

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
Repaired Claudius Sestertius Spes
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
I found the bottom coin on a European auction site. 

Auction house description: Claudius (41-54), Sestertius, Rome, c. AD 50-54; AE (g 29,43; mm 36; h 7); TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head r., Rv. SPES - AVGVSTA, Spes advancing l., holding flower and raising skirt; in ex. S C. RIC 115; C 85.  Beautiful portrait struck on a large flan; brownish patina somewhat smoothed, otherwise good extremely fine.

Something about the bottom coin made me wonder and so I did a die search and found the top coin on acssearch

2016 sale Auction House description: Claudius, AD 41-54. Bronze Sestertius (29.4g). Rome, AD 41-2. Laureate head of Claudius facing right. Reverse: SPES AVGVSTA S C, Spes advancing left holding flower. RIC 99; S-1852. Some smoothing in the fields and scattered pock marks on both sides. Glossy dark brown patina. Struck on a nice large flan. Sharpness of Very Fine

I was initially happy to see a die match but then looking closely, I saw that both coins had identical flans and imperfections in the lettering.  A cast coin seemed possible but I think that the bottom coin has been expertly repaired and repatinated.  The areas of fill on the bottom coin are slightly mauve and don't quite match the field.  Opinions?
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Repaired Claudius Sestertius Spes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 12:20:05 pm »
Certainly the same coin, in my opinion!
Curtis Clay

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:43:46 pm »
That's some impressive restoration, but I wouldn't want to buy it. I think the description simply isn't an accurate account of the coin.
  RWB
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:24 pm »
Disappointing that people are doing this kind of thing....

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:28:10 am »
Hi Jay,

I agree. :'(

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:51 am »
Hi mix,

My Claudius/Spes sestertius (RIC 115) also has pock marks (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_claudius_nero.htm

That appears to be quite common on those coins (Claudius sestertius issues). I've seen several of them with those pock marks. I wonder why.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:46 am »
Hi folks,

Why is the RIC number different (99 vs. 115) in the 2 auction house entries?

Meepzorp

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:21:04 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 19, 2017, 09:32:51 am
Hi mix,

My Claudius/Spes sestertius (RIC 115) also has pock marks (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_claudius_nero.htm

That appears to be quite common on those coins (Claudius sestertius issues). I've seen several of them with those pock marks. I wonder why.

Meepzorp

Nothing special about pocket marks on coins.  I think it amazing that a coin almost 2 thousand years old, exposed to oxygen, water and who knows what can look so good.  In the best cases, corrosion creates a thick strong patina that retains the image of the original metal surface but sometimes faults in the metal combined with local chemical environment can lead to pockets of rapid corrosion and low structural integrity.  The oxidized metal just crumbles away leaving pockets...not very pretty.   You see the same thing with Bronze disease except that it is an extremely rapid process compared with the slow corrosion that creates a desirable patina.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:30:41 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on September 19, 2017, 09:34:46 am
Why is the RIC number different (99 vs. 115) in the 2 auction house entries?

The obv. legend ends with P P, so it's RIC 115.

Without that P P in the obv. legend, it would be RIC 99.
Curtis Clay

Offline Octavianus

• Auxiliary
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »
How/where were you able to do the die search?

What material would be used to fill the pitting on a coin like this? Metal or something else?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »
There are all sorts of filling material.  Particularly dangerous, in my opinion, are the so-called metal clays--mixtures of self-harding clay-like material and metal powder.  They come in both bright and colored.  I have even seen dental mercury amalgam used in past years.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity