Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tacitus COTD  (Read 1136 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Tacitus COTD
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »

Tacitus COTD

110 Tacitus (275-276 A.D.), T-3714, RIC V-I ???, Siscia, AE-Antoninianus, LAETITIA AVG, -/-//XXIVI, Bust-D1, Laetitia standig left, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124381

110 Tacitus (275-276 A.D.), T-3899, RIC V-I 191corr, Serdica, AE-Antoninianus, CONSERVAT MILIT, A//KA, Bust-D1, Mars and Emperor, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124379

110 Tacitus (275-276 A.D.), T-3559, RIC V-I 095, Rome, AE-Antoninianus, VBERTAS AVG, -/-//XXIE, Bust-D2, Uberitas standing left, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124377

110 Tacitus (275-276 A.D.), T-3442, RIC V-I 140, Ticinum, AE-Antoninianus, FELICIT TEMP, -/-//V, Bust-D1, Felicitas left, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124366

110 Tacitus (275-276 A.D.), T-3371, RIC V-I 160var, Ticinum, AE-Antoninianus, SALVS PVBLI, -/-//T, Bust-B1, Salus standing right, #1
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-124363

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Tacitus COTD
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »
Very nice set of coins! I have one similar to your SALVS PVBLI coin coming to me now. Congratulations!

As a side note, Tacitus always seems to have a pretty luxurious and flowing neck beard on his coins, which always makes me smile. Nice coins!

Josh

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:31 pm »
Thank you very much Josh +++

I agree the beard sometimes very funny... :)

Regards
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 02:12:06 am »
The  3rd. coin are overweighted

the weight are 5,14 g. !!!

regards
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:04:11 am »
Another great group quadrans.

The portraits are particularly interesting from a stylistic point of view. Some are "realist" in the way a Severan portrait might be, others looking to the future and the portraits of the Constantinian dynasty. Even though these "proto-Constantinian" portraits have the emperors "neck beard" to identify him they concentrate on his status rather than attempting to define much character in the detail of the face as in a true portrait.
Yet all the dies were cut in the same age.

This makes me think of three possible conjectures for the differences in style-

1. The older artists are responsible for the more realistic portraits by working in the older tradition, the more simplified ones are the products of younger artists.

2. The more simplified portraits are by provincial artists that were not trained in the classical style and have been employed in official mint.

3. Social stress from the civil wars resulted in less well trained die cutters that were responsible for the simpler portraits.

I only have one coin from this emperor and the interesting variety of portrait styles is making me look out for some more!

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:11:30 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on November 23, 2015, 07:04:11 am
Another great group quadrans.

The portraits are particularly interesting from a stylistic point of view. Some are "realist" in the way a Severan portrait might be, others looking to the future and the portraits of the Constantinian dynasty. Even though these "proto-Constantinian" portraits have the emperors "neck beard" to identify him they concentrate on his status rather than attempting to define much character in the detail of the face as in a true portrait.
Yet all the dies were cut in the same age.

This makes me think of three possible conjectures for the differences in style-

1. The older artists are responsible for the more realistic portraits by working in the older tradition, the more simplified ones are the products of younger artists.

2. The more simplified portraits are by provincial artists that were not trained in the classical style and have been employed in official mint.

3. Social stress from the civil wars resulted in less well trained die cutters that were responsible for the simpler portraits.

I only have one coin from this emperor and the interesting variety of portrait styles is making me look out for some more!

Best Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve ,

Thank you for the interesting observations and comments.

I'm very happy if you like it ..:)  +++

Best regards

Q.
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity