Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Here's a funky one.. :)  (Read 1607 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Here's a funky one.. :)
« on: May 29, 2005, 10:49:25 pm »
Any thoughts? Double struck or double headed? :)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Here's a funky one.. :)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 05:34:16 pm »
Geryones??

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:37:49 pm »
Hmm.. http://www.theoi.com/Pontos/Geryon.htm

Could be! Since I hadn't seen this one before that's the big question. Is the reverse intentionally like that or is it just an error strike? :)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 06:12:12 pm »
Sorry for making my response so very short; I didn't want to be impolite, but Geryones really was only a very vague idea in lack of better ones. The coin, however, does not really seem to be double-struck to me.

I was also thinking of a former thread in which we discussed a Herculian labour (Antaeus), but the posture of the bodies on this coin doesn't fit for Hercules and Antaeus. See: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=15610

Best regards

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
The enclosed picture is from a paper of Roberto Pace, "Baris e le sue monete". Unfortunately caption just says "deity with two heads and four arms".

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:36:38 pm »
Head, HN, p. 707, for Baris in Pisidia, notes this figure and does not venture to call it Geryon (first thing I thought of, too), possibly because in Pisidia it might well be something else, but only suggests that it might be "(Herakles?)".  Pat L.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 01:04:46 pm »
Von Aulock, Münzen und Städte Pisidiens II, knew seven spec. of this coin, all from the same obv. die and three rev. dies.  Featherz' spec. is from same dies as his no. 259, pl. 7.
His type description:  "Double-headed male divinity advancing r., the heads facing in opposite directions, with four arms, holding bow and sword on the r. and club on the l., cloak hanging down on l. and between the legs". 
For the type he refers to the comments in Zeitschrift für Numismatik 1879, p. 17.
Curtis Clay

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 03:26:00 pm »
Thanks guys! I do find some strange things sometimes..  ::).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity