Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SUPER RARE!! THE ELUSIVE New Caligula AV QUINARIUS- Joe Geranio  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
I only collect and research Julio Claudian coins and this is the rarest issue I have been looking for, since 1985, I have only seen this one photo.  NOTE:  How high relief the shield is on the reverse.

Quinarius circa 55-56, AV 3.83 g, 7h.
NERO CL DIVI F CAES AVG P M TR P II Youthful bare head r. Rev. VICT AVG Victory, draped, alighting left, holding round shield in right hand.
RIC 10, BMC 11. BM
CCAESAR

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: SUPER RARE!! THE ELUSIVE NERO AV QUINARIUS- Joe Geranio
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:46:01 am »
Did you just acquire this? If so, this is quite a stunning achievement!

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:53:42 am »
I wish David, having a hard enough time finding a photo!!  I want the CCAESAR AV quinarius first.  LOL

Speak of the devil, here it is:   Caligula_quinarius

Caligula (AD 37-41), Gold Quinarius, 3.9 gms., mint of Lugdunum, struck c. AD 37-38, C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS, laureate head right, rev. PM TR POT ITER, Victory seated right on globe holding wreath in both hands (RIC 5 Rarity 3),
Also see:
A 'new' gold quinarius of Caligula.
by Bendall, Simon .
Type: Article
Description: ill .
Subject(s): Quinarius (Coin) Rome -- Caligula -- 37-41
In: Numismatic Fine Arts quarterly journal Mar. 1985, no. 29, p. 1-2.
CCAESAR

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:08 am »
Oh well, one can dream...  At least we have the photos.

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:31 am »
Always nice to see the rarest of the rare
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:05 am »
Nero gold quinarius: BMC 11, pl. 38.6, apparently unique, part of the Blacas Coll. acquired by the BM in 1867.

Caligula "new" gold quinarius: seems to be the identical specimen quoted by King, Quinarii, p. 277, 2d, with a pedigree going back to Montagu Sale, 1896, lot 133.

In the enlarged image, the end of the obv. legend NICVS looks like it has been engraved over an earlier legend. Was this Simon Bendall's point, that the coin provides evidence for a different, earlier quinarius, specimens of which have not survived? I probably read Bendall's article when it appeared, but do not have it easily at hand, and King does not mention it.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:27:05 am »
Thanks Curtis/ Yes that was Bendall's point, "Curtis- "

Was this Simon Bendall's point, that the coin provides evidence for a different, earlier quinarius, specimens of which have not survived?

PMTR POT COS without Laurel wreath dated to 37/8

As you know he states this is when the mint went to Rome from Lugdunum for precious metals.  Rome mint we start seeing the laurel wreath. (weak evidence, but his point,not mine, I like the denarii theory from Claudian times to Neronian 64 A.D.?)  Remember, this was written in 1985, so the Mattingly- Sutherland standard thought still existed.

I  Don't want to get into Mint move debate, but here is a little by Ponting and Butcher ",
The Roman Denarius Under the Julio-Claudian Emperors: Mints, Metallurgy and Technology"  

" Some scholars (most notably Harold Mattingly and Humphrey Sutherland) have made a case for a change of location during the reign of Tiberius’ successor Caligula (AD 37–41). The thesis rests on rather slender support: a perceived change of style from a bare-headed portrait of Caligula to a laureate one inc.AD 37–38. To other scholars there appears to be an unbroken stylistic progression from Augustus to the early issues of Nero, suggesting that the mint remained at Lugdunum untilc.AD 64, after which it was transferred to Rome. There is certainly a break in the stylistic progression at this point, with young portraits of Nero being replaced by older ones. Further support for a post-Caligula transfer is provided by an issue of Lugdunum bronze coins of Claudius (AD 41–54), the style of which greatly resembles that found on Claudian denarii (Metcalf 1989, 64). This suggests that the denarius mint was still located at Lugdunum under Claudius; however, von Kaenel (1986) has drawn attention to a stylistic similarity between portraits of Claudius on precious metal coinage and sestertii (the latter normally assigned to Rome) and has accordingly attributed the Claudian denarii to Rome.

I think his main point is that there were no quinarii struck at Rome in 37/8 .  The quinarii issue with POT ITER and POT IIII were struck in Rome in 38/9 and 40/1 respectively.  For the Montagu specimen he is speaking to the obverse legend read originally C CCAESAR AVG GERM PM TR POT no gold quinarii are found with this obverse legend , but aurei of 37/8 are known.   It an interesting question that are there quinarii out there wit the obverse legend C CCAESAR AVG GERM PM TR POT and a reverse of PM TR POT COS? as Bendall states.

Here is a Caligula quinarius from a recent Gemini sale 9 260.    I thought it would go for around 12k, boy was I wrong.  

I have a copy of the Bendall  article if anyone is interested, send me your email.  Further pedigree of the coin in the article with an over strike on obverse legend and an interesting take on the issue for a short 2 page article are as follows.

Christies, 9 October 1984, lot 6

J. Hirsch, Ara Classica XVII, 1934 lot 698

J. Tyszkiewicz Collection, R. Serrure, Paris, 25 June 1901, lot. 64

H. Hoffman Collection, Lot 1311

H. Montagu Collection, Paris, 1896, lot. 133.  
CCAESAR

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:24 am »
I can only dream of such coins.
There is a minor point that I find odd on the POT ITER Caligula coin. It has a cursive E in ITER and I cannot recall having seen one before on an Imperial coin. I am not implying anything significant by this but it strikes me as an oddity.
Has anyone seen a cursive E elsewhere on an Imperial coin?
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:06 am »
According to Joe G., Bendall thought that rev. die had originally read

P M TR POT COS, later changed to

P M TR POT ITER.

In that case the original S of COS had to be changed into the E of ITER, and that change may explain the rounded form of the resulting E!
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:44 am »
Thanks Curtis, Did you ge my email on the Caligula sestertius I sent you?
CCAESAR

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:21 am »
Good eye Maridium/
CCAESAR

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:58:09 am »
For some reason when I saw such a rarity I was reminded of Monty Python.

(Read in "an outrageous French accent".)

"He said he was looking for the Holy Grail.  But I said we have already got one."  Snicker, snicker, snicker.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 06:05:39 am »
Curtis,
I can see what is being implied to some extent. You have an S where you want and E and thus the curves but only one of then on the top of the S with the right hand curve of the S having been completely emliminated.... If you take from this that the reverse was re-engraved from COS then the engraver did a very good job on completely eliminating the curved C and the O to replace them with very linear I and T but then fell down when he came to the E.
I don't suppose we will know for sure until we find an example from the previous die but it stell seems an oddity to my untrained eye.
A fascinating coin.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:00 pm »
Without realizing it the scan is the coin in question by S. Bendall, a new gold quinarius of Caligula and I found it with photo at auction.  Note in the legend on both photos.

IF YOUR REALLY INTERESTED SEND ME A MESSAGE AND I WILL SEND YOU THE SMALL 2 PAGE ARTICLE.  I HAVE IT ON PDF.

CCAESAR

Marco Emilio Lepido

Re: SUPER RARE!! THE ELUSIVE New Caligula AV QUINARIUS- Joe Geranio
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »
Hi.
I was also interested in the said Article for my studies of Caligula. I sent the message, Joe.
Have you seen the response that I left in the other discussion on the quinary Caligula treated by Corpus Nummorum Romanorum with PP crown in the reverse?

Marco Emilio Lepido

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
Congratulations on the topics of discussion: always very interesting, given that I'm in charge of research on Julio-Claudian and in particular of Caligula+++

Marco Emilio Lepido

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:07 pm »
Hi.
Thanks, Joe, for the article. Like I said, I would let him know what I thought. I read a bit 'on the subject and I think this quinarius present the obverse legend of rebound of a previous hitherto unpublished. We reverse the slippage of issue and a fix or a different design for the letter E of ITER, but, in my opinion, is not davuta the presence of a legend as the previous obverse. My idea, then, does not distance from those expressed up to now and what I believe to be positive.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity