Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: john spring =ancient coin auction catalogues-opinions  (Read 1136 times)

larsporsenna

john spring =ancient coin auction catalogues-opinions
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:15 am »
greetings..i was interested to see if anyone  has read this work, and has an opinion.. it looks very interesting to me.
i checked  and the few reviews  i saw are sparse..
 thanks cinecias

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: john spring =ancient coin auction catalogues-opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:47:29 am »
greetings..i was interested to see if anyone  has read this work, and has an opinion.. it looks very interesting to me.
i checked  and the few reviews  i saw are sparse..
 thanks cinecias

Here is the review I wrote along with a photo of what it looks like:

Ancient Coin Auction Catalogues 1880-1980, John Spring, 2009
Not an auction catalogue but an invaluable resource about them. The title however conceals a far more interesting book than one would suspect. It is, at the same time, an history of private collections, about the collectors themselves, and about the auction houses and their proprietors since the latter 19th century. As well as full reviews of some 900 auction catalogues, with appropriate indexing and best-of lists, there are biographies of dozens of collectors and proprietors often including atmospheric photographs. I know of no other book of this types - it is different from any of the books on numismatic history that I previously reviewed, with a focus on the activities of the private collector. As an example I would not have expected to see a full page devoted to the opera singer Enrico Caruso and his collection, nor a photo of the excavations at Knossos used to illustrate the 1926 Ars Classica sale of Sir Arther Evanscollection. Not just a reference but a book to read. Hardback, large format, high quality paper. Here is a sample page that is illustrative of the style.

If you want a better indication of what to expect, click on the link below here and it brings you to an enlarged view of the below photo so you can read the actual text. These couple of sample pages should give you an idea what to expect:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/3953192710/sizes/o/

larsporsenna

Re: john spring =ancient coin auction catalogues-opinions-thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:52 pm »
andrew
yours was the only good info  i could find on this work.
im guess it appeals to a specialized public.
i hope others will respond....books like this are rare
 best cinecias

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: john spring =ancient coin auction catalogues-opinions
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »
I had no idea Caruso was a collector!  I like him even more now!  I will have to check this out, thanks for mentioning it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity