Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kelainos at Apameia  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Kelainos at Apameia
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:41:04 pm »
Here's a coin I recently added to my collection:

Pseudo-autonomous AE27, 3. Century AD, Apameia, Phrygia.
Obv: KЄΛAINOC, bust of Kelainos wearing diadem right, drapery on left shoulder.
Rev: AΠAMЄΩN, Aphrodite, naked, standing front, head right.
27 mm, 12.71 g
BMC Phrygia p. 89, no. 117, and plate XI/4

Apparently a rare piece as I could not find any specimen apart from the BMC coin, which is in poor condition, but apparently from the same obverse and possibly from the same reverse die as well.

Apameia in Phrygia was founded by the Seleucid king Antiochos I. Soter (281-261 BC) at the river Maendros. It was named after the king's mother Apama, a Persian princess and wife of Alexander's general Seleukos. The city was settled by people transplanted from the nearby old Phrygian town of Kelainai. According to Strabon XII, 579, the name of Kelainai was connected to Kelainos, son of Poseidon, because of the frequent earthquakes in that area. It is quite fascinating that even 500 years after their relocation, the inhabitants of Apameia still commemorated their original roots by issueing coins showing the Heros Kelainos.

For people interested in mythology, I refer to Jochen's thread on mythology: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.msg165423#msg165423 Kelainai was the town the competition between Marsyas and Apollo was said to have taken place. In addition, the city's epithet "Kibotos" (the chest) lead to the assumption that the Ark of Noah (also named Kibotos) first landed on the hill of Kelainai, which lead to the minting of coins showing the Ark on the reverse in Roman times (see Head, HN, p. 666+667: http://snible.org/coins/hn/phrygia.html).

For Apameia, see RE, I,2,2664f
For Kelainai, RE, XI,1,133
For Kelainos, RE, XI,1,136

Click on the picture to zoom in.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Kelainos at Apameia
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:21:48 pm »
Nice find, congrats!

The story of the Arc is told from Kibyra in Phrygia too. The reason is the same as you have mentioned above: Greek kibotos means wooden chest, cupboard, but in the Gospel Noah's Arc and Arc of the Covenant too. On coins therefore the symbol for Kibyra was a chest and it was a famous place of pilgrimage.

Best regards

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Kelainos at Apameia
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »
We have just added an interesting coin as COTW to acsearch.info that names Dionysos as Dionysos Kelaineos on the obverse, thus also referring to Apameia's "home town" Kelainai:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=412989

The coin was part of a wonderful collection of Provincial Bronzes sold by M&M AG Basel in their Auction 41 on June 18th 1970, no. 453.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity