Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help with RIC number constantius II gloria exercitus smanz  (Read 767 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
help with RIC number constantius II gloria exercitus smanz
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:54:26 pm »
I think this is the correct RIC number for this coin

I attribute it as the following

AE 15 mm  1.8 grams
OBV  ::  CONSTAN-TIVS AVG. Pearled diadem, draped and cuirassed bust right
REV  ::  GLOR-IA EXERC-TIVS. Two soldiers standing with shields and spears on ground. Single standard with 3 badges made with O's
EX  ::  SMANZ (Antioch)
RIC VIII Antioch 49   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<????? 

the reason I'm unsure about this one, is the type of banner  showing the 3 badges with the O's on it wich would be RIC VII Antioch 110,  but in this case  the obverse is wrong  as is should be laureate

thanks in advance

Valerius

Re: help with RIC number constantius II gloria exercitus smanz
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:00:27 pm »
Your coin is RIC VIII Antioch 49. It can't be a RIC VII coin because Constantius II was only a Caesar in the years covered in that volume, he did not become an Augustus until after his father's death, which is covered in RIC VIII.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: help with RIC number constantius II gloria exercitus smanz
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 11:36:25 pm »
thanks Photius

owe you another one  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity