Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Before coins coin?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Smulan

• Consul
Before coins coin?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
Hello!

This is said to be a before coin kind of thing. Its about 4 cm and from Greece.  Any input on this mostly appreciated!  /Smulan

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Before coins coin?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
A piece of horse equipment?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »
I don’t pretend to be an expert on “Primitive Means of Exchange”, but this item doesn’t seem to be “money”.  The item seems to have been produced for some specific purpose.  I think Robert is on the correct path, but we may find someone here that knows for certain.

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »
Agree. It looks like it has a purpose and why put all this effort in shaping the metal if not....

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »
It is a piece of some utilitatian item. There's a lot of this kind of stuff out there; probably ancient, but not something that would have been used as money.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:17 am »
I have the "thing" at home now and have investigated it a bit more.  The colour of the metal under the corrosion silver, its not magnetic and it is strong (not led). Can it be other metal then silver? How about a brace? /Smulan

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:16 pm »
I cleaned it by electrolysis and this is the result. One end is very sharp.

Offline Smulan

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
It might be a plumb. If you put a stone on the bent big circle you could easily fasten it with a rope with help of the two bumps. The upper loop is for the rope and the sharp edge can make at good mark. The construction will give a mass centric plumb whit a minimum of metal use. How does it sounds?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity