Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zoomorphic belt plate?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Zoomorphic belt plate?
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:22:43 am »
Hi,

Just picked this up in a small lot for the sake of curiosity really. The size of the object is about 5 cm width and looks to have some animal heads engraved/carved into it. But what is it? If I were to guess it would be some kind of belt plate, Roman perhaps?

Could well be something much more recent such as an 18th century furniture handle mount. I don't have it in hand yet.

Anybody able to give me any pointers,

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Zoomorphic belt plate?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:15:16 am »
Mauseus,

Interesting.  I have no real idea what it is.  5cm is quite large.  There were some belts of that width - late 4th to 5th century, but I have never seen any plates like this associated with them.

It will be interesting to see the thickness and what if anything is on the back when you get the item in hand.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:20 am »
Hi,

Even after examining the item in hand I am no clearer. The back is flat.

Just listed the object in FORVM Auctions at a flat fee of $10 if anyone is interested in it.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »
 It looks like a key hole plate . You can see half the key hole on the widest side.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:06:22 pm »
Hi,

Could well be something much more recent such as an 18th century furniture handle mount. I don't have it in hand yet.

It looks like a key hole plate . You can see half the key hole on the widest side.

You may well be right if you rotate it; from my first post I had an inkling it may be a handle plate with hand finished detailing.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:24:44 am »
Hi all,

It is a fragment of a late 17th/18th century furniture mount. We see a lot of these brought in as detector finds. The decoration is typical of the species...

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:42:06 am »
Hi,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Regards,