Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienvs half aureus?  (Read 1007 times)

IMPCAESAR

Gallienvs half aureus?
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:13:27 am »
I offered this coin to potential buyer, but he said that his experts told him that coin is fake because there is no such coin in any book. I'm asking for your opinion.
Weight is 2.00 g

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Gallienvs half aureus?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:46:01 am »
2.00gms would seem to be extremely light, especially for a gold coin. That is on average just over half the weight of a regular billon gallienus antoninianus. An aureus should weigh over 7.00gms and so a half aureus would be expected to weigh at least 3.5gms. You have not given the coin's dimensions, but if it really is gold then it must be extremely small.  :-\
Your coin looks like an antoninianus (a half-aureus or quinarius should be laureate) and that is what I think it is. Did you weigh the coin yourself, or were you told that it weighed 2.00gms by a third party?

Alex.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:56:13 am »
It is hard to say without having it in hand but style and surfaces look ancient to me. The weight is not a problem, similar and eaven lighter specimens are known from Gallienus and Claudius II. They are extremely thin.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

rick2

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:11 am »
i d bet one denarius that the coin is actually an ant that has been gilded or gold plated

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:07 am »
i d bet one denarius that the coin is actually an ant that has been gilded or gold plated

+++

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:39 am »

Yes, antoninianus: Göbl 1419i gilded or painted.

Pekka K

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:04:05 am »
Yes, MIR 1419i, known to Göbl in two specimens only. The plate coin is an obverse die match to the one shown here. I disagree that it necessarily has to be gilded, the flan shape is similar to other light weight gold coins of that time, and does not appear to be that of an antoninianus especially at 4- 8 o'clock. Gold is soft and with these very thin flans the edge often gets wavy in shape at that time, whereas the harder metal of an antoninianus would just crack - especially with a flan of this size but only 2 g. Also, with most of these very thin gold issues with radiate crown of the time, it is obvious that they were struck with regular antoninianus dies, see f.e. the unique gold coin of Aureolus, also many of Gallienus' and Claudius II.

So without seing the coin in flesh and confirming the metal, I would be reluctant in condemning it right away.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

IMPCAESAR

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »
*Alex - I weighted the coin, and scale showing 2.00-2.01 g. Diameter is approx. 19 mm, and yes it is very thin 0.5-0.8 mm.  Rick2 - I take your bet, and I put my unknown AE Follis in stake,on picture presented,  no problem. :)   Pekka K - are you sure?   Pscipio - you are true expert, I like your answer. :)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 01:53:09 pm »
Well that's me learned something new. Congratulations on a nice find IMPCAESAR, I had never heard of quinarii struck with antoninianii dies before.  :-X
Pscipio I acknowledge that you are indeed a true expert.  :)

Alex.

Offline cebolar

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:38 am »
actually I think it's not a half aureus, but yes, a double aureus (or binio) Göbl 1419a (of which he knew no example)!
sounds crazy with a weight of 2,00 gms, but Göbl shows on plate 104 the double aureus 1424 a,(from the same emission), which only has a weight of 2,20 g also!
best regards
frank

All coins are guaranteed for eternity